Re: Re-Re visit, last one I promise

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Patrick Michael, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > In conclusion: since an "Upgrade" version of XP requires a "qualifying"
    > disk, and since the installation process cannot make a distinction as to
    > whether or not the CD that was insterted during the moment of
    > qualification was the CD from which the "qualifying" OS was installed:
    >
    > Any '98, ME or 2000 CD can be a "qualifying"disk; hence, when a person
    > purchases a copy of "XP Upgrade" instead of "XP Full", they're doing so on
    > the honor system, since everyone has a copy of either '98, ME or 2000
    > lying around.
    >
    > Now I get it.

    Pretty much. Microsoft's "security" on this has always been very
    unsosphisticated. My guess is they really don't care that much because they
    are getting *some* money out of the deal. The uber-cheap academic XP Pro
    upgrade CD can be had for $82 on newegg, which is a great price, but still
    enough for MS to make some money off it even if somebody doesn't really
    "qualify" for the upgrade.

    I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're a business or for your customer's
    computers, but it's a cheap way to skirt the system if you're building a new
    PC for yourself. MS will never know the difference either since once XP is
    installed, you'll have a valid serial for XP Pro. Of course, there are even
    cheaper ways as always. ;)
    Patrick Michael, Apr 29, 2005

  2. "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > Re: "I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're a business or for your
    > customer's computers"
    >
    > If you were ever the subjec of an SPA audit, the fact that it's not legal
    > would matter a great deal. An individual can get away with things in
    > their home that a business should not consider touching with a ten-foot
    > pole.

    Yup. All it takes is one disgruntled customer or employee. That seems to
    be how it usually happens.
    Patrick Michael, May 1, 2005