Re: Re: Re Email Infection

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nina, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Nina

    Nina Guest

    Oh yea I most certainly am infected with the worm called swen and there is
    another called gibe.
    I think you will start to receive your share of hoax messages pretty soon.

    Input swen and gibe into Google and you will discover this is a world wide
    thing. When I think of all the computer time I have spent on this, and I am
    merely a peaceful retiree, business can be crippled.
    Nina

    Nina, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Nina

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Nina" <> wrote in message
    > Oh yea I most certainly am infected with the worm called swen and there is
    > another called gibe.
    > I think you will start to receive your share of hoax messages pretty

    soon.

    > Input swen and gibe into Google and you will discover this is a world wide
    > thing. When I think of all the computer time I have spent on this, and I

    am
    > merely a peaceful retiree, business can be crippled.

    You still don't get it do you Nina? Just because you are getting these
    messages doen't mean you are infected. It just means that someone with your
    address in their address book could be or, looking up at the headers, you
    post using what looks to be a real return addy, un-munged. The worm may have
    harvested your addy from usenet and used it as a 'return' addy when sending
    it's payload. It has been postulated that the worm also trawls through
    usenet postings on infected computers, posting to both addys and newsgroups
    and spoofing the return addys from the posts it finds.

    Therefore, if I had the worm, you could be getting these emails etc. because
    I'm infected as I now have your email address in my newsreaders logs. It's a
    step up from malware just checking address books and has the potential to be
    a lot more virulent because of this.

    (There goes my long-held theory that it's OK to use OE for usenet, just not
    for email)

    Munge your return addy in your newsreader, although it's a bit late in this
    case it will stop it happening again. (Although, another postulation I've
    head is that the worm is trawling google archives for addys. Some people are
    reporting these emails on addys they used to use in the past as return addys
    when posting but have since long ceased to use. Less likely I think, more
    likely that someone somewhere still had one of their older posts on an
    infected computer.)

    Of course it's a world wide thing, so is this internet thing. 'Mazing ay?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Nina

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: Re Email Infection

    Nina,

    If you have NAV you almost certainly DON'T have those viruses! Even if
    you weren't quite up to date with the virus defs, NAV detects them
    automatically as Worm.Automat.AHB.

    What makes you think that you are infected? If others are receiving
    viruses supposedly from you, it's extremely likely that the emails are
    faked *on someone else's machine*. Please tell us why you think that
    you are infected.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 23, 2003