Re: Re: newbie question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by molavarria@nshs.edu, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Guest

    >"ascot" <> wrote in message
    >> Why should I pay several $$$$ for Cisco 2621 Dual 10/100 Ethernet Router ?
    >> I want to route between two Ethernet LANs and this is the bit of kit that

    >> have been told I need.
    >> But there seems to be much cheaper routers from Netgear, Linksys etc. that
    >> do the same thing. How are they different ?
    >>

    >You don't need a 2621 for something like routing between wto LANs. That's
    >just overkill. Stick a Win2K or Linux box in there with two network cards.
    >Voila ... a router!
    >
    >Chris.

    A Cisco 2621 router can do QOS, ACL (Access Control Lists) , Routing, SNMP, and much more. It will scale much better then a Win2k box functioning as a router.
    A linux box functioning as a router is a nice alternative, but if your a newbie to networks, Linux routing is way out of your league.

    -Mike

    , Nov 1, 2003

  2. ascot Guest

    Thanks, I have decided on a dedicated router rather than using a Linux box
    basically for ease of use, maintenance etc. But it's the cheaper dedicated
    devices that are classed as "routers" that I'm confused about - surely they
    also provide a way to set up routing tables etc based on IP address. I
    understand SNMP and now understand that is one advantage of the Cisco over
    Netgear, Linksys etc. ACL - is that an Access Control List based on MAC
    address or IP address - if it is IP address then don't all routers offer
    that ?
    What is QOS ?

    ascot, Nov 1, 2003