Re: Raw converters

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eNo, May 13, 2009.

  1. eNo

    eNo Guest

    On May 12, 2:53 pm, "Stephen Drummonds" <>
    wrote:
    >  I am wanting to try the Raw format on my camera.  Can someone please tell
    > me what raw conversion program that I need to start with?   Thanks for any
    > suggestions
    > Steve

    The most faithful RAW converter will be that which comes from your
    camera's manufacturer. Others will come close, but are usually
    products of reverse-engineering of your camera's RAW format and will
    invariably leave settings out of the mix. For example, I shoot Nikon,
    so I use their free ViewNX. Adobe's Camera RAW (ACR) in combination
    with Photoshop Elements 7 worked okay, but only brought in the White
    Balance settings. Other settings, like the Picture mode/control in the
    camera are ignored. True, you can always recover or set your own in
    post-processing, but the closest interpreter to what your camera
    actually captured still remains that which the manufacturer provides,
    leaving a lot less room for guessing.

    http://esfotoclix.com

    eNo, May 13, 2009

  2. eNo

    Chris H Guest

    In message <
    s.com>, eNo <> writes
    >On May 12, 2:53 pm, "Stephen Drummonds" <>
    >wrote:
    >>  I am wanting to try the Raw format on my camera.  Can someone please tell
    >> me what raw conversion program that I need to start with?   Thanks for any
    >> suggestions
    >> Steve

    >The most faithful RAW converter will be that which comes from your
    >camera's manufacturer. Others will come close, but are usually
    >products of reverse-engineering of your camera's RAW format and will
    >invariably leave settings out of the mix.

    Not if it is a Nikon as their RAW software SDK is freely available.

    1 Use the SW that came with the camera.

    2 What is your Cameras and why do you want to shoot RAW?

    Chris H, May 13, 2009

  3. eNo

    eNo Guest

    On May 13, 6:09 am, Chris H <> wrote:
    > In message <
    > s.com>, eNo <> writes
    >
    > >On May 12, 2:53 pm, "Stephen Drummonds" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >>  I am wanting to try the Raw format on my camera.  Can someone please tell
    > >> me what raw conversion program that I need to start with?   Thanks for any
    > >> suggestions
    > >> Steve

    > >The most faithful RAW converter will be that which comes from your
    > >camera's manufacturer. Others will come close, but are usually
    > >products of reverse-engineering of your camera's RAW format and will
    > >invariably leave settings out of the mix.

    > Not if it is a Nikon as their RAW software SDK is freely available.

    And yet, somehow Adobe Camera RAW doesn't bring in Nikon's picture
    control. Maybe it's because regardless of the SDK being out there,
    Nikon is the one with the most motivation to ensure its camera's
    features are exploited.

    > 1 Use the SW that came with the camera.

    Exactomundo.

    eNo