Re: Raspberypi

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, Nov 7, 2011.

  1. Stephen Hammond <> wrote:
    > Do you think it's possible to use a http://www.raspberrypi.org/ to make some
    > sort of VOIP device ?
    >
    > I'm always amazed how much voip ata devices cost for example.

    Yes, but there's only one ethernet port. There's no FXO or FXS or any means
    of adding one (though I suppose one of those 'use Skype on your landline
    phone' USB gadgets might work).

    The GPU is pretty good... if someone was able to write (eg) audio
    transcoding code for it I'd guess Asterisk performance would be good (I have
    no firm data for this).

    Question is, what would you do with a small VOIP device with only interfaces
    to the ethernet or USB worlds? If you can think of a use, it'll probably be
    able to do it.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Nov 7, 2011

  2. In article <N+f*>,
    Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    >Stephen Hammond <> wrote:
    >> Do you think it's possible to use a http://www.raspberrypi.org/ to make some
    >> sort of VOIP device ?
    >>
    >> I'm always amazed how much voip ata devices cost for example.

    >Yes, but there's only one ethernet port. There's no FXO or FXS or any means
    >of adding one (though I suppose one of those 'use Skype on your landline
    >phone' USB gadgets might work).
    >
    >The GPU is pretty good... if someone was able to write (eg) audio
    >transcoding code for it I'd guess Asterisk performance would be good (I have
    >no firm data for this).

    Asterisk performace was adequate on the Nokia N770 - A 252MHz ARM. You
    don't need to transcode to run asterisk, but some people still want to
    have crappy GSM call quality for some bizarre reason... Or you might
    be using G729. I know that an AMD Geode (P5 architechure) running at
    500MHz can transcode 4 or 5 ALAWs into G729, so the faster ARM in the
    RPI ought to cope better even before using the GPU...

    But as you say - what's the point?

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Nov 7, 2011