Re: Random Hesitations: The new threat to windummy productivity in the office

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Clogwog, Apr 4, 2010.

  1. Clogwog

    Clogwog Guest

    "7" <> schreef in bericht
    > Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
    > pounding the sock RayLopez99 wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    > Appil Traffic Light Department of Marketing:
    >

    >>> Those Linux guys have the biggest open goal in the world, why can't they
    >>> kick the ball in?

    >> Well said. And here is the answer, from 6 years ago. True then, true
    >> now.
    >>
    >> RL
    >>
    >> "If a user isn't educated

    > Blaming the user?!

    Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    may find that you have better things you can do instead.

    SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    --------------------------

    1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    trouble detecting all your hardware. Most new hardware devices
    are not supported. If your lucky you might be able to find
    something that someone threw together on the net. But that's
    after spending a couple hours searching and probably won't take
    advantage of your hardware to it's fullest capability.

    1.2 Q: Once I get it installed, then what?
    A: Then you get the joy of making sure everything is configured
    right. Plan on a minimum of two hours per device to get it to
    work. That's if the device is even supported.

    1.3 Q: What happens if I'm in the middle of an install and the
    installation freezes or just stops?
    A: You get to reboot and start all over again. This happens
    every so often with Linux. It seems like it's buggy install
    routines or something. Ain't Linux grand?

    1.4 Q: What's the deal?! I installed Linux and it took up almost 2GB
    hard drive space!
    A: The Linux distros usually install a LOT of never-used programs
    on the default install. You can pick and choose what you want,
    but good luck figuring out what programs are needed and what is
    useless, obscure tools. Linux usually installs stuff like 10
    different editors, 12 different mail clients, and so on.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION TWO - CONFIGURATION
    ---------------------------

    2.1 Q: What's with all these cryptic files?
    A: All of Linux is configured with cryptic text files. Some of
    the more user-friendly distros have configuration utilities
    that claim to do it for you, but success with these works
    sometimes and other times don't, so sometimes you have to
    edit them by hand. With Linux's spotty reliability in UI
    programming, you might as well get used to it.

    2.2 Q: What is killall, HUP, ls, cat, rm, which, etc and why are
    these programs telling me to do them? Arggg!!
    A: These are command line programs that do things within the
    system. It's what makes Linux a powerful OS for those that
    are experienced with it. But it's also what makes it a pain
    in the arse to use and inefficient as a desktop system. Who
    wants to type all the time when they can just click?!

    (more to come...)

    SECTION THREE - APPLICATIONS
    ----------------------------

    3.1 Q: Where can I get some programs to run on linux?
    A: Good question. Because Linux doesn't have a large user base
    on the desktop,(I think it's about 0.24%, less than 1%)
    companies that make software won't write their programs for
    Linux. There's a lot of community created programs out there,
    and some are fairly good, but those are few and far between.
    Most of the Linux software that tries to mimic it's windows
    counterpart is substandard. It's usually slow and buggy and
    early in development.

    3.2 Q: I tried to install an RPM but I got 'failed dependencies', what
    is that?
    A: That's Linux's version of DLL hell. Different versions and
    distros use different libraries. So unlike windows where
    programs will run on many different versions, Linux programs
    will fail if they're not made for your specific version.

    3.3 Q: What is compiling and configure, make and make install? And
    what is a makefile?
    A: This is a way to build the programs from the source code
    under Linux. When the question above fails, you can always
    build it yourself. The advantage is that it works most of
    the time. The disadvantage is that it takes forever to build
    large programs, you need to know some cryptic commands and
    you have to do all this on a command line. Unlike Windows
    where you just double click and you are done.

    3.4 Q: Can I go to my local store to buy any Linux applications?
    A: Not really. You can buy Linux itself at various stores. But
    not too many commercial companies make applications for Linux,
    there's no profit in it with 0.24% of the desktop market.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FOUR - SPEED ISSUES
    ---------------------------

    4.1 Q: Why is Linux so slow?
    A: Linux is built on the technology of the old UNIX OS's. Even
    the graphical user interface of Linux is a separate program that
    is the same type they used back in the older UNIX days. So
    working with old technology will give you the old technology
    responsiveness. Also, a lot of the GUI's, although nice to look
    at, are still not mature. Using them is slow and sluggish
    compared to, say, Windows.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION FIVE - CONSISTENCY
    --------------------------

    5.1 Q: Why are the windows different looking?
    A: Since Linux isn't built by one company, group or have any
    governing body, programs and interfaces can vary dramatically.
    You can have everything from the nice look of KDE, to something
    as ugly as TK and everything in between. You'll usually see some
    varying UI stile in Linux.

    5.2 Q: Should I buy Suse Linux?
    A: No. They make it difficult to get it for free. All the other
    distros provide free ISO's to download. Suse is the only one
    that doesn't provide them but instead has a FTP install that's
    hard to get to work. Why should they make it easy? The more
    people that can't get the download to work have to spend $80
    or more for the boxed set. And on top of all that although
    it might have a few more user friendly tools, it's still the
    same base Linux system that's in development and that all the
    other distros are using. In other words, they're all on about
    the same level of struggling to catch up to Windows, so you're
    not going to find any earth-shattering features in one compared
    to another.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SIX - LINUX COMMUNITY
    -----------------------------

    6.1 Q: What is RTFM?!
    A: This is an acronym for Read The Fuc*ing Manual. This is a common
    answer you'll get when asking for help in the Linux community.
    It's meant to make you feel inadequate while boating the Linux
    persons ego at the same time. See, Linux enthusiasts consider
    themselves to be guru like and above helping out the simple
    newbie. You have to earn your respect by spending countless
    hours becoming a kernel hacker before you're worthy of getting
    any help.

    6.2 Q: Why does everyone think they are better than you when
    using Linux?
    A: Same as above. When people use Linux they believe since it
    takes a little more knowledge to use Linux, they are technically
    superior, and see themselves as an elite group that doesn't have
    time for the pathetic little Windows people.

    (more to come...)

    SECTION SEVEN - LINUX ADVOCACY, HELPING OR HURTING?

    7.1 Q: Everyone in here says linux is perfect, why would they say that
    if it isn't?
    A: We really don't know. Maybe they've used Linux so long that
    they've gotten used to it. Some of these people haven't used
    Windows in years so they are comparing Linux to the
    last windows they used, maybe Windows 3.1 or 95.

    7.2 Q: Why does everyone call you a troll when you ask something that
    questions linux?
    A: Most of the people here in C.O.L.A. think of Linux more like a
    religion than an OS. They mostly are MS haters and feel that
    Linux is the greatest thing to ever hit computing. So when
    someone questions Linux it's like questioning their belief
    system. Instead of looking at it with some logic and
    reasonable judgment, they will lash out at you can't claim your
    are a troll or a paid MS supporter.

    7.3 Q: Why does everyone <PLONK> you if you question Linux?
    A: Fairly similar to above, Linux advocates can not argue their
    point rationally. So to make it look like you are under them
    or you are not worth it, and at the same time find an easy
    way out of having to prove themselves, they will <PLONK> you.

    (more to come...)
    SECTION EIGHT - LINUX EVANGELISM, ZEALOTS

    8.1 Q: There are some people that call this FAQ lies and seem to treat
    it like it's a conspiracy against them, and post all sorts of links
    to anti-microsoft articles. Why are they reacting so strongly?
    A: The people that are reacting so strongly are most likely the
    Linux extremists that believe everything negitive that is said about
    Linux comes from Microsoft. Like many cult-like groups, the people
    that belong to them don't have the ability to see things rationally
    or outside of their view. If someone replies to the FAQ, or
    anything questioning a non-favorable view on Linux, that seems a
    little "over the edge", do a google search on the person
    (http://groups.google.com/) and look at his/her posting history
    then decide for yourself if the person is credible or not.

    You just can't read can you?
    The retards!!

    Clogwog, Apr 4, 2010

  2. Clogwog

    Clogwog Guest

    "7" <> schreef in bericht
    > Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
    > pounding the sock Clogwog wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    > Appil Traffic Light Department of Marketing:

    >>> Blaming the user?!

    >> Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    >> and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    >> Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    >> may find that you have better things you can do instead.
    >>
    >> SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    >> --------------------------
    >>
    >> 1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    >> A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    >> trouble detecting all your hardware.

    > LMAO!
    >
    > Out of date reality challenged asstroturfing!
    >
    > Linux is now autodetect automagic everything!!!
    > In fact, Ubuntu for example you can change motherboard, sound, network
    > card and hard disk controller and IT STILL BOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

    2103 pages of ubuntu hell, in Threads in Forum : Hardware & Laptops alone,
    might convince you that you are a lying asshole!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332

    Clogwog, Apr 4, 2010

  3. Re: Random Hesitations: The new threat to windummy productivity inthe office

    7 wrote:
    > Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
    > pounding the sock Clogwog wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    > Appil Traffic Light Department of Marketing:

    >> SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    >> --------------------------
    >>
    >> 1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    >> A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    >> trouble detecting all your hardware.

    > LMAO!
    >
    > Out of date reality challenged asstroturfing!
    >
    > Linux is now autodetect automagic everything!!!
    > In fact, Ubuntu for example you can change motherboard, sound, network
    > card and hard disk controller and IT STILL BOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

    Ubuntu and all other distros I've tried refuse to acknowledge the
    existence of my cellphone, my PDA or (except partially) my USB sound
    interface, all of which I use daily. *Part* of the sound functionality
    works, just not the bits I bought the interface to use.

    Another sound interface is recognised, but crippled. None of these were
    uncommon or cutting edge units when bought.

    > You can't say that about micoshaft crap.
    > You move your mouse and its crashed!

    Only if the hardware's faulty or the wireless link crashes. OTOH, try
    using *anything* bluetooth under Linux, and watch it just not working.

    On a standard, fairly but not *too* modern, desktop unit, Linux *is* an
    easy install, but anything not mainstream *will*, IME, not be easy to
    get working.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.

    John Williamson, Apr 4, 2010
  4. Re: Random Hesitations: The new threat to windummy productivity inthe office

    7 wrote:
    >> Ubuntu and all other distros I've tried refuse to acknowledge the
    >> existence of my cellphone, my PDA or (except partially) my USB sound
    >> interface, all of which I use daily. *Part* of the sound functionality
    >> works, just not the bits I bought the interface to use.
    >>
    >> Another sound interface is recognised, but crippled. None of these were
    >> uncommon or cutting edge units when bought.

    > If they are common and not cutting edge, you should name them
    > and then we can verify your truth.

    Egosys WamiBox and a Lexicon Omega. Both seem to work as standard 16
    bit, 44.1KHz interfaces only, the Lexicon hardware is capable of
    recording up to four channels of 24 bit, 48KHz under Windows XP, the
    WamiBox soft synth and DSP farm are totally inaccessible under Linux.

    The cellphone is a Nokia 9500, the PDAs run Windows Mobile 2003 or 5.

    These items were bought for facilities they offered that could be
    obtained nowhere else at the time, not on the basis of whether they'd
    work with a particuar OS. *Nothing* on the Linux HCL could do what they
    do at that time.

    > Any way why would you want to buy hardware for appil
    > if its not on a appil hardware compatibility list?
    > Do people like you really assume gadgets work because you
    > learned to connect two wires together?
    > I mean could anyone trust you with money to buy a steering
    > column for a Ford and you came back with one for a Toyota?

    I'd not do that, but I've fitted British Leyland brake parts to a
    Vauxhall before now. The same part, made in the same factory, in
    different box. And yes, I would assume that two gadgets that say they
    support the same interface standards should work together. Say a USB
    audio interface connecting to a computer that claims to fully support
    that profile. Or a PDA showing a standard modem (to Windows) over a
    bluetooth serial port.

    > Search google for Linux Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
    > and be smart before you buy from Linux supportive vendors.

    Why? I need to do certain things that you say Linux supported hardware
    can do and find that the supported hardware is incapable of doing those
    things under Linux. It works fine under Windows, though.

    >>> You can't say that about micoshaft crap.
    >>> You move your mouse and its crashed!
    >>>

    >> Only if the hardware's faulty or the wireless link crashes. OTOH, try
    >> using *anything* bluetooth under Linux, and watch it just not working.

    > Bwa! Exact opposite. Windummy systems can hardly pair for more
    > than a few minutes before its gone into its random hesitation
    > mode and/or disconnect mode. I remember this from some PDAs bought
    > a while back. There is no source code for micoshaft operating system
    > and hence driver manufacturers have to work blindly on an adhoc
    > basis and assume APIs, its parameters and processing behind the API
    > is accurate. As if.

    I use bluetooth file transfers, and a modem over bluetooth GPRS data
    link for many hours a day with no problems under Windows. Linux refuses
    to make a connection without using a CLI to configure it, and even then
    falls over if I sneeze. The modem link I was using earlier today was up
    and in use for two hours without a hiccup.

    >> On a standard, fairly but not *too* modern, desktop unit, Linux *is* an
    >> easy install, but anything not mainstream *will*, IME, not be easy to
    >> get working.

    > For you may be. Not for smart people who check their Linux Hardware
    > Compatibility lists and make sure stuff is supported by the manufacturer
    > or by independently written drivers. If it isn't supported, go buy
    > from manufacturers who do support Linux! I mean I got Linux printers
    > from Samsung because they support Linux. Plug it in, it works.
    > No need to install anything in Ubuntu - its all auto detect and
    > automagically working. And if that doesn't for your distro,
    > they have Linux drivers on CD.

    Most Nokia phones that I've used have problems and will not
    automatically install. Nokia are the most popular mobile phones here in
    the UK.

    I need a mobile printer, and in the past I've had the best results from
    Canon printers, which have patchy Linux support. They can be persuaded
    to print, yes, but it's a PITA getting them to work. Linux is getting
    better, but it's nowhere near there yet.

    Laptop support is buggy and patchy, too, IME over a decade or so ranging
    from an early IBM Pentium 133 under Red Hat to this EEEPC, which came
    with Xandros installed, so I would have expected all the installed
    hardware to work out of the box. It didn't. I couldn't get it to see the
    rest of the local network either wirelessly or using ethernet. It was
    set up so that I couldn't change the workgroupfrom the default without
    learning how to override a disabed root account. XP worked fine straight
    out of the box, though, after installing a grand total of two drivers,
    one for the touchpad, and another for a bluetooth dongle.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.

    John Williamson, Apr 4, 2010
  5. Re: Random Hesitations: The new threat to windummy productivity inthe office

    7 wrote:
    > John Williamson wrote:
    >>>

    >> Egosys WamiBox and a Lexicon Omega. Both seem to work as standard 16
    >> bit, 44.1KHz interfaces only, the Lexicon hardware is capable of
    >> recording up to four channels of 24 bit, 48KHz under Windows XP, the
    >> WamiBox soft synth and DSP farm are totally inaccessible under Linux.

    > Bollox 2 U 2!!
    > They are not run of the mill devices flat cake.

    They are for users that do what I do.

    But your claim was that *all* devices are automatically installed and
    work under Ubuntu. You obviously forgot to add "as long as they are on
    the very limited HCL."

    >> The cellphone is a Nokia 9500, the PDAs run Windows Mobile 2003 or 5.
    >>
    >> These items were bought for facilities they offered that could be
    >> obtained nowhere else at the time,

    > So they are cutting edge stuff and not run of the mill.
    > Obviously you had to lie about your stuff as being
    > run of the mill as an outdated asstroturfing way of getting attention.

    They *were* cutting edge when bought, but have *never* been fully
    supported. But, I say again, you claimed that *all* hardware was plug
    and play under Linux.

    Windows Mobile is neither cutting edge nor rare, nor is are Nokia
    cellphones.

    Thank you for confirming the accuracy of my argument.

    > And obviously you can't be trusted
    > to buy Linux HCL compatible hardware.
    >
    > I'm posting this from a Sheevaplug and obviously the features
    > such as it being a 5W server cannot be obtained from nowhere at this time
    > except through Linux.

    http://www.casaguemes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=58

    "The server upon which this website is residing is a 5-watt Fit-PC
    Server running Windows XP, XAMPP and Joomla."

    Oops.

    I notice that you agree with me about support for laptops being buggy
    and patchy too, even where Linux is installed by the makers.

    Thank you again for your help in promoting Windows.
    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.

    John Williamson, Apr 5, 2010
  6. Clogwog

    Clogwog Guest

    "Clogwog" <> schreef in bericht
    > "7" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster with a big girlie butt
    >> pounding the sock Clogwog wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft
    >> Appil Traffic Light Department of Marketing:

    >>> Here's a list of some frequently asked and answered question here
    >>> and elsewhere that you may find useful in your quest to try linux.
    >>> Read these carefully before you decide to invest time in Linux, you
    >>> may find that you have better things you can do instead.
    >>>
    >>> SECTION ONE - INSTALLATION
    >>> --------------------------
    >>>
    >>> 1.1 Q: I heard linux was easy to install, is it?
    >>> A: That depends on what distro you try. Most of them will have
    >>> trouble detecting all your hardware.

    >> LMAO!
    >>
    >> Out of date reality challenged asstroturfing!
    >>
    >> Linux is now autodetect automagic everything!!!
    >> In fact, Ubuntu for example you can change motherboard, sound, network
    >> card and hard disk controller and IT STILL BOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!

    > 2103 pages of ubuntu hell, in Threads in Forum : Hardware & Laptops alone,
    > might convince you that you are a lying asshole!
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=332

    The lying asshole "7" didn't reply, so he is convinced now that he is a
    *lying* *asshole*.

    Clogwog, Apr 5, 2010
  7. Re: Random Hesitations: The new threat to windummy productivity inthe office

    Steve Walker wrote:
    > John Williamson wrote:
    >> 7 wrote:

    >>> I'm posting this from a Sheevaplug and obviously the features
    >>> such as it being a 5W server cannot be obtained from nowhere at this
    >>> time except through Linux.
    >>>

    >> http://www.casaguemes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=58
    >>
    >> "The server upon which this website is residing is a 5-watt Fit-PC
    >> Server running Windows XP, XAMPP and Joomla."

    > What was wrong with the linux variant
    > (PN fit-PC2i-D2G-C1600-H-N4-W-XL)?
    > www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/fit-pc2-models/

    AFAIC, nothing, I was just pointing out that the facility was not
    "obviously" "only available" through Linux as claimed.

    I'll leave you to work out the implications of the double negative in
    the post I quoted.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.