Re: RAM voltage

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Apr 2, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
    > "James D. Andrews"<> wrote in message
    >> Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
    >> Sempron.
    >>
    >> (This combo was picked primarily for PRICE, but also considering known
    >> compatibility, other factors, and hundreds of positive reviews)
    >>
    >> So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with consideration
    >> to voltage.
    >>
    >> I couldn't find RAM voltage specs on the Biostar site.
    >>
    >> A couple people stated that the voltage defaults to 1.95V
    >>
    >> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?
    >>
    >> The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications ranges
    >> from 1.8V - 2.2V
    >>

    > Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
    > 4GB (2x2GB)
    >

    > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

    The manual for your Mobo:
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Manual/N61PB-M2S_090918_B.zip

    Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage
    is 1.95v

    I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
    them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK,
    Voltage 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.

    JD
    JD, Apr 2, 2010

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    On 02/04/2010 6:53 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
    > "JD"<> wrote in message
    >> On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
    >>> "James D. Andrews"<> wrote in message

    > SNIP SNIP

    > SNIP SNIP
    > Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?

    >>> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
    >>> 4GB (2x2GB)

    >> The manual for your Mobo:
    >> http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Manual/N61PB-M2S_090918_B.zip
    >>
    >> Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage is
    >> 1.95v
    >>
    >> I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
    >> them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK, Voltage
    >> 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.
    >>
    >> JD

    > Thanks JD
    > You come through again.
    >
    > The OCZ Platinum was actually at the top of my list, nice to know you
    > recommend it.
    >
    > However, I hate to be a pest, but ...
    >
    > I was reading through a gazillion sites today and came across a possible
    > problem:
    > One site said the Sempron will not support memory more than 667s. Another
    > said 800s. Another said 400s. But I've read of people using 1066s.
    >
    > AMD site is good for bringing on a mental breakdown.
    >
    > I'm so confused. Do you know what my Sempron 140 Sargas will support for
    > memory?
    >

    > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

    I'd say its more to do with the motherboard, if the motherboard supports
    the ram it should work fine, did a quick search and it seems that the
    most popular ram sold with that CPU is the 800Mhz variety, you should be
    safe with that.

    JD
    JD, Apr 2, 2010