Re: Ram REDUX

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Mar 7, 2010.

  1. "Steve B" <> wrote in message
    > Just got back from the big city to rural USA. Popped in 2 GB PNY RAM on
    > special from Fry's, and the computer works much faster. Will notice it
    > more playing tunes from file, downloading from Limewire, having IE8 open
    > and surfing, and having Microsoft Word open and writing from Internet
    > info, all at the same time. That's when my 512 was dragging ***. I think
    > that will be the acid test. Oh my, just opened it up, have some Andre
    > Segovia - Tombeau going, set on shuffle, and not skipping a beat. Just
    > clicked on closed stalled downloads, and still doesn't skip a beat.
    >
    > I can live with this.
    >
    > $60 after rebate. I can live with that.
    >
    > Got 2 4GB flash drives to carry info when I need to. Mama bought a 320 GB
    > portable storage hard drive for our real estate studies that will work
    > with her Toshiba laptop, and I got a couple of Dummies books.
    >
    > It's nice to go to the big city. It's also nice to get home. Las Vegas
    > ain't what it used to be.
    >
    > Steve

    Dude, you need to get out more. Polish your boots and put on the rope tie,
    and hit the highway into town.

    Now you can play iTunes and surf the 'net and write your memoirs all at the
    same time, and switch over to Pinball while waiting for the next breakdown
    of writer's block.

    We bought 128M flash drives back when they were new. I remember they were
    $20-ish, now they are free to the first 200 shoppers on Saturday. These
    things have really come down in price and gone up in capacity. You'll be
    back to upgrade those 4G flash drives you just bought, and find they are the
    Saturday morning give-aways. They are going to prove to be very useful, and
    the Real Estate business you have going will probably claim them.

    Welcome to the '90s.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 7, 2010

  2. "Steve B" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote
    >
    >> Dude, you need to get out more. Polish your boots and put on the rope
    >> tie, and hit the highway into town.
    >>
    >> Now you can play iTunes and surf the 'net and write your memoirs all at
    >> the same time, and switch over to Pinball while waiting for the next
    >> breakdown of writer's block.
    >>
    >> We bought 128M flash drives back when they were new. I remember they were
    >> $20-ish, now they are free to the first 200 shoppers on Saturday. These
    >> things have really come down in price and gone up in capacity. You'll be
    >> back to upgrade those 4G flash drives you just bought, and find they are
    >> the Saturday morning give-aways. They are going to prove to be very
    >> useful, and the Real Estate business you have going will probably claim
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Welcome to the '90s.

    > Between my wife and I, we have over 100 years in Las Vegas. Back in the
    > gold old days when "The Boys" ran things. Today, I hate going there, and
    > just do so to do real estate studies. We have three vacation rentals
    > still there, both with pools and spas. I like it here in rural Utah, and
    > go days without moving my truck. ATV right out my back door into the
    > wilderness. The city is over rated.
    >
    > I copied a bunch of stuff I have completed for my blog on a 512 mb flash
    > drive. I used up 500 kb. That one is big enough, but I wanted one I can
    > take with me, and put 5mp pictures and lots of stuff without running out.
    > There are so many computers everywhere now, libraries, cruise ships,
    > friends, it is easy to collect information and store it.
    >
    > Steve

    I was stationed at Nellis from 74 to 77, and have been back to vist the
    bright lights exactly three times. Once with another couple for a weekend,
    once with my wife and two very small kids -- we stayed for a week and hit
    the water slide, dam, and the Medevil Knights dinner show -- and the last
    time was on the one-year anniversary of 9/11 -- that was a very moving
    experience. We like the lights and attractions, but not the gambling so
    much.

    I've been up to St. George and Cedar Grove (Cedar City?) and around the area
    by Zion. I could live there. Me and an Air Force buddy went camping at Lake
    Navajo the Friday after the campground with the cabins closed, the guy would
    not rent us cabin so we had to sleep in the car. I tried sleeping on the
    ground with two sleeping bags, but the falling snow made that a not-so-fun
    experience. Curling up in the back seat was not much better, but there was
    less wind.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2010