Re: RAM question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Mar 4, 2010.

  1. "Steve B" <> wrote in message
    > New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
    >
    > I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
    > speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
    >
    > I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
    > be phased out March 13.
    >
    > I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I
    > have room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high
    > density DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM
    > slots? Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google
    > posts about them.
    >
    > I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB
    > DDR cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be
    > trusted for good RAM hardware?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    You have to get the RAM that matches the clock speed and architecture of
    your motherboard. If you have DDR 2700, then you have to get more DDR 2700.
    If you have DDR2, then you need more DDR2. If you have DDR, you can't use
    DDR2.

    When you get to Frys, the guy in the computer components department -- not
    the computer systems department -- can look up your computer by make &
    model, and provide you the proper RAM for your system.

    Frys usually is competitive with eBay, and they'll help you get the right
    stuff. Since you plan on a trip to Frys, just get your RAM there and be done
    with it. If you were making a special trip to Frys, then maybe eBay would be
    the better option, but since you are going anyhow, just get your RAM from
    Frys.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 4, 2010