Re: RAM question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 4, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
    >
    > I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
    > speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
    >
    > I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
    > be phased out March 13.
    >
    > I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I have
    > room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high density
    > DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
    > Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
    > about them.
    >
    > I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB DDR
    > cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
    > for good RAM hardware?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    "High density" DDR 1GB modules are typically offered for sale on Ebay.
    You will not find them for sale at reputable retailers.

    Intel does not approve of that particular memory format. High density
    modules like that consist of (16) 128Mx4 chips. (That is a single bank
    of memory, spread over both sides of the module.) The Ebay advertisement
    usually includes a list of "compatible" chipsets to use them. No
    Intel chipsets are typically included in the list.

    If you later go to resell such "high density" modules, it is your
    responsibility to indicate the modules have limited compatibility.
    So buying such modules, only contributes to a compatibility
    nightmare down the road.

    Instead, buy a "regular" density module, with (16) 64Mx8 chips.

    If I were to buy high density modules for my Nforce2 based S462
    motherboard with AthlonXP 3200+, the end result would be that
    only half the memory would be detected. Some chipsets, that
    claim to support 1GB modules, may do so only for the
    (16) 64Mx8 configuration. When confronted with the 128Mx4 chip,
    they may be missing the ability to address the second half of
    each chip.

    Chances are, when you go to Fry's, the products offered will be
    the "regular" configuration.

    You can also go to sites like Crucial.com or Kingston.com and
    search for compatible memory there.

    A Kingston product datasheet, shows you the details of their
    construction. Not all manufacturers are so generous with the
    details. This is a "regular" 1GB DIMM, so you can see it
    is using 64Mx8 chips.

    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR333X64C25_1G.pdf

    "The components on this module include sixteen 64M x 8-bit"

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 4, 2010