Re: RAM question

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    On 03/03/2010 10:49 PM, Steve B wrote:
    > New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
    >
    > I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
    > speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
    >
    > I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones would
    > be phased out March 13.
    >
    > I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I have
    > room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high density
    > DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
    > Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
    > about them.
    >
    > I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB DDR
    > cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
    > for good RAM hardware?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    Hi Steve

    The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
    opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
    minimum, mores always better.

    The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
    (400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your motherboard.

    JD
    JD, Mar 3, 2010

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    On 04/03/2010 12:21 AM, Steve B wrote:
    > "JD"<> wrote in message
    >> On 03/03/2010 10:49 PM, Steve B wrote:
    >>> New to group, so go easy if I ask a simple question
    >>>
    >>> I have a HP computer with XP SP3. AMD Athlon xp3200+ 2.2 ghz processor
    >>> speed, 448 mb DDR RAM
    >>>
    >>> I run IE8, new to do so, as I was getting messages that the old ones
    >>> would
    >>> be phased out March 13.
    >>>
    >>> I have been advised by my computer guy to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs. I
    >>> have
    >>> room for two DDR boards. Upon looking for them on ebay, I find high
    >>> density
    >>> DDR RAM boards. Would this be compatible with the regular DDR RAM slots?
    >>> Is there room? There was some questionable functionality on google posts
    >>> about them.
    >>>
    >>> I am going to Vegas Friday, and can probably pick up a couple of 1028 MB
    >>> DDR
    >>> cards at Fry's. Should I get plain or high density? Can ebay be trusted
    >>> for good RAM hardware?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> Hi Steve
    >>
    >> The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
    >> opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
    >> minimum, mores always better.
    >>
    >> The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
    >> (400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your motherboard.
    >>
    >> JD

    > I shall take out the old 512 mb RAM chip and take it with me to Fry's, in a
    > static bag, no less. I have found that computer stores and auto parts
    > stores, it's a good idea to take the old part with you and make only one
    > trip. I was just wondering if the high density was any different, and
    > having read there were some conflicts, wondering should I even mess with it
    > or just get two plain vanilla 1 GB sticks.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Steve

    There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?

    for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25

    This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings
    and part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend
    a replacment type for you.

    As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per
    chip on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb
    module)

    JD
    JD, Mar 4, 2010

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    On 04/03/2010 12:54 AM, JD wrote:
    > On 04/03/2010 12:21 AM, Steve B wrote:
    >> "JD"<> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Steve
    >>>
    >>> The Minimum recommended amount of ram for windows XP is 512Mb this in my
    >>> opinion if far to little, for windows XP I'd recommend 1GB (1024mb)
    >>> minimum, mores always better.
    >>>
    >>> The memory you will want is 1Gb modules of PC-2700 (333Mhz) or PC-3200
    >>> (400Mhz) DDR Ram depending on the FSB (front-side bus)of your
    >>> motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> JD

    >> I shall take out the old 512 mb RAM chip and take it with me to Fry's,
    >> in a
    >> static bag, no less. I have found that computer stores and auto parts
    >> stores, it's a good idea to take the old part with you and make only one
    >> trip. I was just wondering if the high density was any different, and
    >> having read there were some conflicts, wondering should I even mess
    >> with it
    >> or just get two plain vanilla 1 GB sticks.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
    >
    > for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
    >
    > This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings
    > and part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend
    > a replacment type for you.
    >
    > As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per
    > chip on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb
    > module)
    >
    > JD

    Oh I should add that High Density configurations are non standard and
    will not work in some motherboards.

    JD
    JD, Mar 4, 2010
  4. JD

    Paul Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > "JD" <> wrote
    >
    >> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
    >>
    >> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
    >>
    >> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings and
    >> part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
    >> replacment type for you.
    >>
    >> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
    >> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
    >>
    >> JD

    > Info on RAM module sticker:
    >
    > MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001
    >
    > MADE IN SINGAPORE
    >
    > 512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3
    >
    > Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with a
    > $35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.
    >
    > Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
    > mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
    > think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?
    >
    > Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Steve

    That is a Micron module part number. -40B is DDR400 CAS Latency 3.

    MT16VDDT6464AG

    http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DD16C64_128_256x64A.pdf

    *******

    It is better to know something about the motherboard, just in case it is
    one of the special cases.

    Otherwise, if you just want to "buy a stick and say a prayer", there are
    plenty on Newegg. Some have better ratings than others.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

    This one is $56 for a 2x1GB kit. (Matched, may make them easier to sell later.)
    One reviewer says it is low density RAM, using x8 chips.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161161

    The RAM with the best rating is $65. This is CAS 2.5 and PC3200.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

    Both of those meet your 2 x $40 = $80 price target.

    This one is a CAS2 (low latency) RAM, the kind we used to pay
    extra for. Right now it is $67 for 2x1GB.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820231032

    Those are PC3200 184 pin DIMMs, and presumably are all low density.
    I've only caught one review on Newegg, where a reviewer noted that
    a product Newegg was selling, was actually high density. I only wish
    I'd kept a bookmark for that product, as an example.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 4, 2010
  5. JD

    JD Guest

    On 04/03/2010 5:34 AM, Steve B wrote:
    > "JD"<> wrote
    >

    >> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
    >>
    >> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
    >>
    >> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings and
    >> part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
    >> replacment type for you.
    >>
    >> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
    >> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
    >>
    >> JD

    > Info on RAM module sticker:
    >
    > MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001
    >
    > MADE IN SINGAPORE
    >
    > 512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3
    >
    > Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with a
    > $35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.
    >
    > Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
    > mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
    > think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?
    >
    > Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Steve

    Hi again Steve

    The type of ram you are looking to buy is PC3200 DDR 1Gb modules, a good
    brand like Corsair, Kingston, Crucial should be fine in your board.
    as for buying on places like ebay, it can be a bit hit and miss
    however if you buy from a good seller with a good rating you shouldn't
    have to much to worry about, some even offer refunds if your not happy,
    enthusiasts upgrade there machines all the time so they often list there
    old parts to recover some of there money, I for one have a huge pile off
    stuff I should get listed on there at some point, but I keep telling
    myself it will come in handy.

    JD
    JD, Mar 4, 2010
  6. "Steve B" <> wrote in message

    > "JD" <> wrote
    >

    >> There's usually a sticker on the module, what does it say?
    >>
    >> for example: OCZ PC3200 512MB 2.5-4-4-8 PN:OCZ400512v25
    >>
    >> This tells you manufacturer, type, amount of ram, voltage, cas timings
    >> and part number, if you give us the info on the memmory we can recomend a
    >> replacment type for you.
    >>
    >> As for high density ram this just means there are more bits (MB) per chip
    >> on the memory module (128mb chips instead of 64mb chips for a 1Gb module)
    >>
    >> JD

    > Info on RAM module sticker:
    >
    > MT16VDDT6464AG-40BGB 200419 CBNBJ80001
    >
    > MADE IN SINGAPORE
    >
    > 512 MB, DDR, 400, CL3
    >
    > Today, I looked at Fry's, and they had two sticks 1 gb each, for $70 with
    > a $35 rebate. Now that I go back, it's gone. Go figger.
    >
    > Looking at these at Fry's, some have the common numbers of PC3200, which
    > mine has in the hardware profile. And the 400 on the RAM module is, I
    > think, 400 MHz. Am I reading this correctly?
    >
    > Can anyone recommend where I can get one on sale or less than $40 a stick?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.
    >
    > Steve

    Yes, you are reading that right. PC3200 runs at 400mHz, and is referred to
    as DDR1, or just DDR. Frys has that spec in two 1G sticks for $75-ish,
    sometimes less at the register, and sometimes with a mail-in rebate. I
    bought 4G of DDR2 (which won't fit your machine but illustrates the point)
    for $50, and it had a $25 mail-in rebate, making the end price of $25.
    Pretty good deal. I recently bought rwo 1G sticks of the RAM you need for
    under $50.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 4, 2010
  7. "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > "Steve B" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JD" <> wrote
    >>
    >> I for one have a huge pile off
    >>> stuff I should get listed on there at some point, but I keep telling
    >>> myself it will come in handy.
    >>>
    >>> JD

    >> Whenever I get rid of ANYTHING, I will need it within a week.
    >>
    >> Guaranteed!
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > LOL, there is an old line that goes something like Junk is defined as
    > something you need 2 days after you tossed it out.
    > --

    Junk is something you DON'T need until two days after you toss it out.

    The difference is, it's junk while you have it instead of becoming junk
    after it's gone. It's not junk if you need it, it's only junk if you have it
    but don't need it.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 4, 2010
  8. "Steve B" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote
    >
    > I recently bought rwo 1G sticks of the RAM you need for
    >> under $50.

    > That's what I'm talking about.
    >
    > Steve

    They have advertised specials, and the advertisement for the weekend and
    next week comes out tomorrow, Friday. So, you will get the most current
    price on Friday or Saturday, when you pull into Las Vegas.
    Jeff Strickland, Mar 5, 2010