Re: Raid

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. Howdy!

    "dave" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have 2 HDD,s I need to install on a new system they are both ATA 133,

    one
    > is 120gig the other is 60 gig, the 120 gig is the bootable while the

    smaller
    > one will be just for storing files, my new board has the raid feature, I

    can
    > either configure for raid 0 or raid 1, the manual dosent give too much

    help,
    > all the cables ie serial ata are all in the box, but where to connect

    them

    > Can someone please post an idiots guide to setting up either raid 0 or

    raid
    > 1 please

    1) Buy matching, identical drives.

    2) If not following 1, don't RAID.

    That simple enough?

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Ralph Wade Phillips

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Ralph Wade Phillips said:

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "dave" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have 2 HDD,s I need to install on a new system they are both ATA 133, one
    >> is 120gig the other is 60 gig, the 120 gig is the bootable while the smaller
    >> one will be just for storing files, my new board has the raid feature, I can
    >> either configure for raid 0 or raid 1, the manual dosent give too much help,
    >> all the cables ie serial ata are all in the box, but where to connect them
    >>
    >> Can someone please post an idiots guide to setting up either raid 0 or raid
    >> 1 please

    > 1) Buy matching, identical drives.

    Isn't that a pleonasm?

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Ralph Wade Phillips

    Josef Knecht Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote:

    > Errrrr...erm... Ralph Wade Phillips said:
    >
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> "dave" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I have 2 HDD,s I need to install on a new system they are both ATA 133, one
    >>> is 120gig the other is 60 gig, the 120 gig is the bootable while the smaller
    >>> one will be just for storing files, my new board has the raid feature, I can
    >>> either configure for raid 0 or raid 1, the manual dosent give too much help,
    >>> all the cables ie serial ata are all in the box, but where to connect them
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please post an idiots guide to setting up either raid 0 or raid
    >>> 1 please

    >> 1) Buy matching, identical drives.

    >Isn't that a pleonasm?

    Definitely tautological.