Re: RAID 1, I look for info speed.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adriano, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Adriano

    Adriano Guest

    >I'm getting a new system and plan to use RAID 1 for data backup. Is it true
    >that RAID 1 will always be slower? Intel claims that their RAID1 will give a
    >slight boost in speed. Should I instruct the system integrator to make sure
    >two separate channels are used.

    Unfortunately for me it is not this way. I have a good writing but a
    low reading.
    I have:
    reading: 31 MB/S
    in writing: 4380 KB/S

    In your opinion is it a too much low reading?
    thanks

    bye Adriano

    Adriano, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Adriano

    Edge Guest

    "Adriano" <> wrote in message
    > >I'm getting a new system and plan to use RAID 1 for data backup. Is it

    true
    > >that RAID 1 will always be slower? Intel claims that their RAID1 will

    give a
    > >slight boost in speed. Should I instruct the system integrator to make

    sure
    > >two separate channels are used.

    > Unfortunately for me it is not this way. I have a good writing but a
    > low reading.
    > I have:
    > reading: 31 MB/S
    > in writing: 4380 KB/S
    >
    > In your opinion is it a too much low reading?
    > thanks
    >
    > bye Adriano

    I don't the performance details with RAID 1, but a 7 to 8 times difference
    between read and write seems like a lot to me.

    Edge, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Adriano

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Adriano <> wrote in

    > reading: 31 MB/S
    > in writing: 4380 KB/S

    You must be misreading. You are writing data at approx 4MB/sec. Four
    megabytes per second. In general these numbers are all horrible, but that
    stands out as being especially crappy. Are these drives running in UDMA
    mode 2 or higher? The numbers look like the old PIO mode numbers (2x16
    would be around 31MB/s as well)

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)