Re: RAID 1, I look for info speed.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Adriano, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. Adriano

    Adriano Guest

    >If the two drives making up RAID drive D: are on the same channel, you
    >could very well see this. RAID1 works by writing the same data to both
    >drives at the same time (mirroring). If you are writing to two drives on
    >the same IDE channel then you would get poorer performance. Why are you
    >using a RAID1 array to begin with though?

    Hi,
    thanks for your reply.
    I don't know at all the technique of the PC and therefore I don't know
    because I have the Raid 1. However I can say that I make editing
    and only "D" HD has so low transfer rate in writing.
    Every other HD work very fine in reading and writing.
    In "E" HD I put every avi files for editing.
    What RAID had I to make in my PC?
    thanks again,

    bye Adriano

    Adriano, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Adriano wrote:
    >>If the two drives making up RAID drive D: are on the same channel, you
    >>could very well see this. RAID1 works by writing the same data to both
    >>drives at the same time (mirroring). If you are writing to two drives on
    >>the same IDE channel then you would get poorer performance. Why are you
    >>using a RAID1 array to begin with though?

    > Hi,
    > thanks for your reply.
    > I don't know at all the technique of the PC and therefore I don't know
    > because I have the Raid 1. However I can say that I make editing
    > and only "D" HD has so low transfer rate in writing.
    > Every other HD work very fine in reading and writing.
    > In "E" HD I put every avi files for editing.
    > What RAID had I to make in my PC?
    > thanks again,
    >

    > bye Adriano

    RAID 0 is striping. It's used to increase performance but sacrifices
    some safety. (You spread your data across multiple drives. If any drive
    fails then you've lost your data. As you increase the number of drives
    you increase the chance of failure.)

    RAID 1 is mirroring. It's used to increase safety but sacrifices some
    performance. (As noted in my earlier reply it has a performance
    tradeoff-it sacrifices performance in writing but can actually speed it
    in reading. Which do you do more of?)

    You can do both if you have the right hardware. RAID 1+0 (aka RAID 10)
    mirrors two sets of striped disks. This arguably provides the maximum
    combination of performance & safety, but you need a minimum of 4 drives.

    RAID 1 protects against hardware failure-it does not protect against
    software failure. If you software corrupts the data it writes to the
    drive then it will corrupt the data it writes to both drives. You can
    look at RAID 1 as 'instantaneous' backup. Do you really need that?

    Personally, when I want the maximum combination of performance & safety,
    and I don't have the hardware to implement RAID 10, I combine non-RAID
    with frequent backups.

    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 18, 2003