Re: Radio Software?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Howdy!

    "MrsMCDandKids" <> wrote in message
    > Hi again
    >
    > Thanks for the opinions from my last post about mail alerts with email
    > programs.
    >
    > Here is my next question.
    >
    > I see that Netscape has 'Netscape Radio', I tried it out it's kinda cool

    but I
    > was wondering if there was better/more popular radio programs out there to

    use
    > with the internet, hopefully free of charge but any information on any of

    them
    > would be great!

    The ones I like tend to be Shoutcast(tm) stations. Go to
    http://classic.winamp.com and download Winamp 2.91 (or 2.95 if it's finally
    available!) and install that, reading the screens that come up.

    Then browse over to http://www.shoutcast.com and finding a radio
    station you like.

    My personal preference? If you are on broadband (i.e., can spare >
    135Kbit/sec), try http://fptest.jav.net - note: requires Japanese language
    support (even though the site is in English, some of the songs are in
    Japanese titles), and also requires JavaScript running.

    If you don't like what's playing, wait a bit ... there'll be a
    different song VERY soon {grins}

    RwP

    > I am interested in all generes but my son really likes house and dance

    music.
    > So a program that has good acess to those kinds of music would be

    especially

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 28, 2003

  2. Ralph Wade Phillips

    paul s Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 20:41:24 -0400, SCW wrote:

    > Hey I have used ShoutCast before but I dont use Winamp anymore, I can't
    > stand it.

    Why not? I think Winamp is one of the better media players, and it don't
    call home about what you been listening to, and inflict adverts on you.

    > Are you able to use Windows Media Player as a player for the ShoutCast
    > site? When I try to play something, it keeps opening MusicMatch Jukebox
    > up and I don't want that program as the player. Actually I don't even
    > know why I still have that program.

    Probably because you got MusicMatch associated with streaming MP3.

    > BTW MrsMC-Windows Media Player also has radio but it doesn't seem to be
    > that great:(

    Agreed.

    --
    Paul S

    paul s, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Howdy!

    "SCW" <!> wrote in message
    > Hey I have used ShoutCast before but I dont use Winamp anymore, I can't
    > stand it.
    >
    > Are you able to use Windows Media Player as a player for the ShoutCast

    site?

    Never tried it - WinAmp 2.x ItJustWorks(tm).

    WMP 7.x and above, OTOH, tends to be a bit of a bull in a china
    hutch, not counting the DRM and "ET" stuff built in.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 28, 2003