Re: Quick Simple Question

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2009.

  1. Yes, there will be a significant difference in effective memory. You don't
    need double the memory in 64-bit. However, you should be aware that XP x64
    is based on Server 2003 SP1 code, not on Windows XP code, so there are some
    differences. Also, you'll need 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and
    peripherals. Given that XP x64 was never designed to be a consumer version
    of Windows, and is now well past its active development, there are some
    fairly big lacks in drivers.

    A better choice, IMHO, is to jump directly to Windows 7 64-bit. It's a good
    release, well supported, and represents the future, not the past.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 8, 2009