Re: Quick-release intermediate mounting plates?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Jul 15, 2011.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/14/2011 2:38 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Does anyone make quick-release mounting plates for cameras that can be placed
    > between another mounting plate and the camera itself?
    >
    > For example, I have a simple mounting plate that just has some holes in it,
    > and a screw with washers is passed through one of the holes and into the
    > mounting hole on the camera to fasten it to the tripod. The problem is that I
    > have to unscrew the camera if I want to remove it. So I want to put a
    > quick-release in-between. But the few QR mounts that I've looked at have a
    > large screw hole on the bottom that's designed to screw onto a tripod (such as
    > a ball mount), rather than a small screw hole of the same size as the hole on
    > the camera. I need something with the same size screws on both top and bottom,
    > so that it can be inserted between the simple mounting plate and the camera.
    >
    > The mounting hole on the camera is the standard kind you find on any camera.
    > The holes in the mounting plate are big enough for this size of screw to pass,
    > but too small for the larger mounting screws on the base of most QR plates.
    >
    > Who makes this sort of gadget? Brands and/or model numbers would be welcome.

    Go the the website of any major camera retailer: B&H; adorama: Calumet,
    etc and you will see all kinds, from heavy duty to feather weight. You
    need one female base plate for your tripod and multiple male units.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 15, 2011

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/14/2011 9:51 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > PeterN writes:
    >
    >> Go the the website of any major camera retailer: B&H; adorama: Calumet,
    >> etc and you will see all kinds, from heavy duty to feather weight. You
    >> need one female base plate for your tripod and multiple male units.

    > I've been searching around a bit and it looks like the Manfrotto 577 might fit
    > the bill, if I can find a place that stocks it. I've already blown 45 euro on
    > a QR plate that didn't fit, so I hope I can find this one and that it will
    > work.

    I'm sure you understand that the base plate and connecter must b
    originally designed to fit each other. Also, get a heavier duty one than
    you think you will ever need.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 16, 2011

  3. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/16/2011 7:59 AM, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > PeterN writes:
    >
    >> I'm sure you understand that the base plate and connecter must b
    >> originally designed to fit each other.

    > Well, they have to have compatible screw sizes.

    The mate. Must be an exact fit.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 17, 2011