Re: Quick-release intermediate mounting plates?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message news:
    :

    > Does anyone make quick-release mounting plates for cameras that can be placed
    > between another mounting plate and the camera itself?
    >
    > For example, I have a simple mounting plate that just has some holes in it,
    > and a screw with washers is passed through one of the holes and into the
    > mounting hole on the camera to fasten it to the tripod. The problem is that I
    > have to unscrew the camera if I want to remove it. So I want to put a
    > quick-release in-between. But the few QR mounts that I've looked at have a
    > large screw hole on the bottom that's designed to screw onto a tripod (such as
    > a ball mount), rather than a small screw hole of the same size as the hole on
    > the camera. I need something with the same size screws on both top and bottom,
    > so that it can be inserted between the simple mounting plate and the camera.
    >
    > The mounting hole on the camera is the standard kind you find on any camera.
    > The holes in the mounting plate are big enough for this size of screw to pass,
    > but too small for the larger mounting screws on the base of most QR plates.
    >
    > Who makes this sort of gadget? Brands and/or model numbers would be welcome.

    I may not be understanding you (I'm somewhat "out of it"
    at the moment...), but there is a common tiny thread
    adapter that converts 3/8" to 1/4" - and these are VERY
    cheap. Also look at the compact Manfrotto quick releases
    (these are flat and are offered in a few different sizes).
    --DR

    David Ruether, Jul 14, 2011

  2. David Ruether

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:49:31 -0500, Neil Ellwood
    <> wrote:
    : With tripod/camera mounting plates it is usual to buy one for each camera
    : you are going to use so that you can change cameras on the tripod easily
    : and quickly.

    And those puppies cost $22 each, even at B&H. Oh, well, I guess nobody said
    photography would be cheap. :^|

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 16, 2011

  3. Robert Coe <> writes:

    > On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:49:31 -0500, Neil Ellwood
    > <> wrote:
    > : With tripod/camera mounting plates it is usual to buy one for each camera
    > : you are going to use so that you can change cameras on the tripod easily
    > : and quickly.
    >
    > And those puppies cost $22 each, even at B&H. Oh, well, I guess nobody said
    > photography would be cheap. :^|

    Or the Really Right Stuff L-bracket for my D700 cost $140. Definitely
    not cheap! (Then the replacement foot for the 70-200 cost $100.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 7, 2011
  4. On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > Robert Coe <> writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:49:31 -0500, Neil Ellwood
    >> <> wrote:
    >> : With tripod/camera mounting plates it is usual to buy one for each camera
    >> : you are going to use so that you can change cameras on the tripod easily
    >> : and quickly.
    >>
    >> And those puppies cost $22 each, even at B&H. Oh, well, I guess nobody said
    >> photography would be cheap. :^|

    > Or the Really Right Stuff L-bracket for my D700 cost $140. Definitely
    > not cheap! (Then the replacement foot for the 70-200 cost $100.)

    Yeah, but lets be honest -- $22 is pretty cheap for such a great and
    useful piece of equipment. I'm sure it's crazy high-margin -- but when
    you think that a decent tripod, head, and set of quick release plates can
    be purchased for under $500 and will likely last you more than a decade,
    without going obsolete, that's some great value.

    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT Images@Alamy:[url]http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd[/url]

    Ryan McGinnis, Oct 10, 2011
  5. Ryan McGinnis <> writes:

    > On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Coe <> writes:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 08:49:31 -0500, Neil Ellwood
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> : With tripod/camera mounting plates it is usual to buy one for each camera
    >>> : you are going to use so that you can change cameras on the tripod easily
    >>> : and quickly.
    >>>
    >>> And those puppies cost $22 each, even at B&H. Oh, well, I guess nobody said
    >>> photography would be cheap. :^|

    >> Or the Really Right Stuff L-bracket for my D700 cost $140. Definitely
    >> not cheap! (Then the replacement foot for the 70-200 cost $100.)

    > Yeah, but lets be honest -- $22 is pretty cheap for such a great and
    > useful piece of equipment. I'm sure it's crazy high-margin -- but
    > when you think that a decent tripod, head, and set of quick release
    > plates can be purchased for under $500 and will likely last you more
    > than a decade, without going obsolete, that's some great value.

    I upgraded the head on my old Bogen tripod from their big clums not very
    stron ball head (the 168 I think) to the RRS RH-40, with lever clamp,
    and put a lever clamp on my monopod too, and got the l-bracket, and the
    foot. A simple little tripod upgrade, to a tripod that cost "a lot"
    back when at about $225 I think, ran me $896 or some such. Pardon my
    sticker shock; one of the problems of living through 50 years of
    inflation.

    Some day I may replace the legs as well; shudder.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 10, 2011