Re: Quick query re voip and numbers

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Nov 20, 2009.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "no-one" <> wrote in message news:eek:...
    >I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
    > feasability of the following because my head hurts :)) :-
    >
    > A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like the
    > ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set up a
    > system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up by
    > another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets the
    > incoming calls by switching between them.
    >
    > Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
    > I can use more directed searches.

    I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
    Will both sites have broadband?

    This is how I would do it.
    Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone adapter + regular phone)
    Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or 02 number
    for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
    Set up the phones with the account details.

    Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit number
    (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
    Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at normal
    geographic rates.

    In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the unmanned
    site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of the numbers
    need be made public.

    You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever picks
    it up first gets the call.

    If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the Counterpath
    X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 20, 2009

  2. Graham.

    Don Guest

    In news:he70ss$o0e$-september.org,
    Graham. <> typed:
    > "no-one" <> wrote in message
    >> I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
    >> feasability of the following because my head hurts :)) :-
    >>
    >> A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like
    >> the ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set
    >> up a system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up
    >> by another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets
    >> the incoming calls by switching between them.
    >>
    >> Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
    >> I can use more directed searches.

    > I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
    > Will both sites have broadband?
    >
    > This is how I would do it.
    > Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone
    > adapter + regular phone) Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het
    > to choose an 01 or
    > 02 number for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
    > Set up the phones with the account details.
    >
    > Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit
    > number (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
    > Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at
    > normal geographic rates.
    >
    > In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the
    > unmanned site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of
    > the
    > numbers need be made public.
    >
    > You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever
    > picks it up first gets the call.
    >
    > If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the
    > Counterpath X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

    You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will
    need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.

    Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the
    call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other simply by dialling
    the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free
    calls between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.
    --

    Don

    Don, Nov 21, 2009

  3. Graham.

    Don Guest

    In news:,
    Jono <> typed:
    > Don presented the following explanation :
    >

    >> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you
    >> will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
    >>
    >> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will
    >> get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the other
    >> simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID).
    >> Equally you can make free calls between the two locations by simply
    >> dialling the main number.

    > I didn't know that!
    >
    > I thought the second device registering would break the other's
    > registration...

    No - I've had an ATA and two PCs with softphones rgistered at the same time,
    and had two conversations going on. X-Lite has three lines (the buttons
    immediately under the screen), but I suspect the limit is the broadband link
    bandwidth. If you want to try it out, give me a ring on 4818223, and I'll
    ring you back from a second phone.
    --

    Don

    Don, Nov 21, 2009
  4. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message news:xvQNm.53879$2...
    > In news:he70ss$o0e$-september.org,
    > Graham. <> typed:
    >> "no-one" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have looked a fair bit but would be glad of a pointer as to the
    >>> feasability of the following because my head hurts :)) :-
    >>>
    >>> A relative is looking to get business premises and would also like
    >>> the ability to work from an offsite office. Is it possible to set
    >>> up a system with an 0845 number that, would be able to be picked up
    >>> by another telephone at another address. i.e select which phone gets
    >>> the incoming calls by switching between them.
    >>>
    >>> Just need to be pointed as to what I am looking at is called and then
    >>> I can use more directed searches.

    >> I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
    >> Will both sites have broadband?
    >>
    >> This is how I would do it.
    >> Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue telephone
    >> adapter + regular phone) Get two free accounts from sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or
    >> 02 number for each one, choose the area code appropriate for the sites.
    >> Set up the phones with the account details.
    >>
    >> Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7 digit
    >> number (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
    >> Also the public at large will be able to call each of the phones at
    >> normal geographic rates.
    >>
    >> In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to forward the
    >> unmanned site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so only one of the
    >> numbers need be made public.
    >>
    >> You can even have both the phones ring on the same account, whoever
    >> picks it up first gets the call.
    >>
    >> If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download the
    >> Counterpath X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

    > You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
    >
    > Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the
    > other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls between the two
    > locations by simply dialling the main number.

    Precisely.

    Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
    voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
    attachment.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 21, 2009
  5. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 21/11/09 14:15, Graham. wrote:
    > "Don"<> wrote in message news:xvQNm.53879$2...
    >> In news:he70ss$o0e$-september.org,
    >> Graham.<> typed:

    [snip]

    >> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
    >>
    >> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the
    >> other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls between the two
    >> locations by simply dialling the main number.

    > Precisely.
    >
    > Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
    > voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
    > attachment.

    And they've *finally* fixed voicemail so you get a proper voice not the
    crappy stilted one from two or three separate recordings.

    Ivor

    PS was Sipgate UK offline for anyone yesterday in the early hours..? All
    my UK numbers were down for an hour or so, but the German one and my
    Gradwell number were fine.

    Ivor Jones, Nov 22, 2009
  6. Graham.

    Woody Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Don" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:he70ss$o0e$-september.org,
    >> Graham. <> typed:
    >>> "no-one" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't think you want or need an 0845 number.
    >>> Will both sites have broadband?
    >>>
    >>> This is how I would do it.
    >>> Install an IP phone at each site (or an ATA analogue
    >>> telephone
    >>> adapter + regular phone) Get two free accounts from
    >>> sipgate.co.uk, you het to choose an 01 or
    >>> 02 number for each one, choose the area code appropriate for
    >>> the sites.
    >>> Set up the phones with the account details.
    >>>
    >>> Now the two phones will be able to call each other with a 7
    >>> digit
    >>> number (usually the last 7 of the number you chose.
    >>> Also the public at large will be able to call each of the
    >>> phones at
    >>> normal geographic rates.
    >>>
    >>> In your case using Sipgate web site you will be able to
    >>> forward the
    >>> unmanned site to the manned one (all at no charge to you) so
    >>> only one of the
    >>> numbers need be made public.
    >>>
    >>> You can even have both the phones ring on the same account,
    >>> whoever
    >>> picks it up first gets the call.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to try it out before buying hardware, download
    >>> the
    >>> Counterpath X-Lite softphone from the Sipgate site

    >> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do,
    >> but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
    >>
    >> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to
    >> answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free)
    >> to the other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7
    >> digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls
    >> between the two locations by simply dialling the main number.

    > Precisely.
    >
    > Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a
    > full-featured
    > voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to
    > you as a .WAV
    > attachment.
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    As a note, Sipgate used to be castigated on here often for
    reliability issues and especially for poor audio quality and
    level. Do I surmise that this now all gone away and they are
    worth using?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Nov 22, 2009
  7. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Woody" <> wrote in message news:g58Om.66873$2...
    > "Graham." <> wrote in message news:he8slc$43o$-september.org...
    >>

    >> "Don" <> wrote in message news:xvQNm.53879$2...
    >>> In news:he70ss$o0e$-september.org,
    >>> Graham. <> typed:

    >>> You don't even need two accounts from Sipgate, one will do, but you will need a softphone or an ATA at both locations.
    >>>
    >>> Incoming calls will ring at both locations, the first to answer will get the call. You can then transfer it (for free) to the
    >>> other simply by dialling the main number (or the 7 digit sipgate SIP-ID). Equally you can make free calls between the two
    >>> locations by simply dialling the main number.

    >> Precisely.
    >>
    >> Another thing worth mentioning to the OP is Sipgate has a full-featured
    >> voice-mail, including the option of having massages emailed to you as a .WAV
    >> attachment.
    >> --
    >> Graham.
    >>
    >> %Profound_observation%
    >>

    > As a note, Sipgate used to be castigated on here often for reliability issues and especially for poor audio quality and level. Do
    > I surmise that this now all gone away and they are worth using?

    No, it's just seems that way because Ron Chew doesn't post here as often.
    (Sorry Ivor, that was your line, I know).

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 22, 2009
  8. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 22/11/09 10:48, Graham. wrote:
    > "Woody"<> wrote in message news:g58Om.66873$2...
    >> "Graham."<> wrote in message news:he8slc$43o$-september.org...

    [snip]

    >> As a note, Sipgate used to be castigated on here often for reliability issues and especially for poor audio quality and level. Do
    >> I surmise that this now all gone away and they are worth using?

    > No, it's just seems that way because Ron Chew doesn't post here as often.
    > (Sorry Ivor, that was your line, I know).

    I wouldn't waste the bandwidth these days. FWIW Sipgate are fine,
    they've even finally fixed voicemail with a decent quality voice..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 22, 2009
  9. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message news:...
    > on 21/11/2009, Don supposed :
    >> In news:,
    >> Jono <> typed:
    >>> Don presented the following explanation :

    >>> I didn't know that!
    >>>
    >>> I thought the second device registering would break the other's
    >>> registration...

    >> No - I've had an ATA and two PCs with softphones rgistered at the same time, and had two conversations going on. X-Lite has
    >> three lines (the buttons immediately under the screen), but I suspect the limit is the broadband link bandwidth. If you want to
    >> try it out, give me a ring on 4818223, and I'll ring you back from a second phone.

    > I've just tried this....Asterisk and a Siemens s450ip.
    >
    > Only Asterisk rings.

    Are both devices behind the same NAT router?
    (I'm not claiming to be an expert, just wondering if the SIP packets are getting confused)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 23, 2009
  10. Graham.

    Bodincus Guest

    Jono:
    > Graham. presented the following explanation :

    >>> I've just tried this....Asterisk and a Siemens s450ip.
    >>>
    >>> Only Asterisk rings.

    >> Are both devices behind the same NAT router?
    >> (I'm not claiming to be an expert, just wondering if the SIP packets
    >> are getting confused)

    > No they're not.
    >
    > Both appear as registered when logging in to the Sipgate account.

    Your other phone doesn't ring because Asterisk answers the call
    immediately and then routes it to the destination you set with the
    Inbound Route for that trunk.
    Set the Inbound Route not to answer for X seconds and your other phone
    will ring, at least while * is not answering.
    Two phones will ring together, that's what BGC (Border Gateway
    Controllers) at the providers' side are made for.
    You can register umpteen devices on a single account @ Sipgate, and all
    will ring together.
    I've been doing this for years, with my office number ringing on my
    house phone through a FritzBox, my office phone through Asterisk and my
    Mobile with Fring. First that picks up gets the call, never failed.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------

    Bodincus, Nov 24, 2009
  11. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Graham. presented the following explanation :

    >>> I've just tried this....Asterisk and a Siemens s450ip.
    >>>
    >>> Only Asterisk rings.

    >> Are both devices behind the same NAT router?
    >> (I'm not claiming to be an expert, just wondering if the SIP packets are getting confused)

    > No they're not.
    >
    > Both appear as registered when logging in to the Sipgate account.

    I've just set up half a PAP2 and X-Pro with the same Sipgate account
    and they do ring simultaneously.

    What happens if the IP phone is busy and and the call comes in (call waiting is off)
    does x-lite ring?
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 24, 2009
  12. Graham.

    Bodincus Guest

    Ivor Jones:
    > PS was Sipgate UK offline for anyone yesterday in the early hours..? All
    > my UK numbers were down for an hour or so, but the German one and my
    > Gradwell number were fine.

    Nope, my FritzBox logs are clean. No registration failures with Sipgate
    in the past months - at least 4, that's all I have logs for.
    I'm on Virgin cable, your broadband might have had routing problems to
    Sipgate's UK hosts.
    --
    Bodincus - The Y2K Druid
    ----------------------------

    Bodincus, Nov 24, 2009
  13. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Bodincus" <> wrote in message news:ESQOm.8196$...
    Jono:
    > Graham. presented the following explanation :

    >>> I've just tried this....Asterisk and a Siemens s450ip.
    >>>
    >>> Only Asterisk rings.

    >> Are both devices behind the same NAT router?
    >> (I'm not claiming to be an expert, just wondering if the SIP packets are getting confused)

    > No they're not.
    >
    > Both appear as registered when logging in to the Sipgate account.

    Your other phone doesn't ring because Asterisk answers the call
    immediately and then routes it to the destination you set with the
    Inbound Route for that trunk.
    Set the Inbound Route not to answer for X seconds and your other phone
    will ring, at least while * is not answering.
    Two phones will ring together, that's what BGC (Border Gateway
    Controllers) at the providers' side are made for.
    You can register umpteen devices on a single account @ Sipgate, and all
    will ring together.
    I've been doing this for years, with my office number ringing on my
    house phone through a FritzBox, my office phone through Asterisk and my
    Mobile with Fring. First that picks up gets the call, never failed.

    Does that mean callers from the PSTN and mobile networks are being charged
    to listen to the phone ring?
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 24, 2009
  14. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Bodincus" <> wrote in message news:WZQOm.8198$...
    Ivor Jones:
    > PS was Sipgate UK offline for anyone yesterday in the early hours..? All my UK numbers were down for an hour or so, but the German
    > one and my Gradwell number were fine.

    Nope, my FritzBox logs are clean. No registration failures with Sipgate
    in the past months - at least 4, that's all I have logs for.
    I'm on Virgin cable, your broadband might have had routing problems to
    Sipgate's UK hosts.

    I've been having some strange DNS issues since changing to BeThere broadband
    As a precaution I have pointed my Sipgate lines explicitly to 217.10.79.23

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 24, 2009
  15. Graham.

    Chris Davies Guest

    Bodincus <> wrote:
    > Your other phone doesn't ring because Asterisk answers the call
    > immediately and then routes it to the destination you set with the
    > Inbound Route for that trunk.
    > Set the Inbound Route not to answer for X seconds and your other phone
    > will ring, at least while * is not answering.

    Curiousity: although in this modified scenario Asterisk wouldn't answer
    the incoming call immediately, would it push the ring notification on to
    its extension(s)? If so, am I correct surmising that when the extension
    answered, Asterisk would therefore answer the incoming call and patch
    it through immediately?

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Nov 24, 2009
  16. In article <>,
    Chris Davies <> wrote:
    >Bodincus <> wrote:
    >> Your other phone doesn't ring because Asterisk answers the call
    >> immediately and then routes it to the destination you set with the
    >> Inbound Route for that trunk.
    >> Set the Inbound Route not to answer for X seconds and your other phone
    >> will ring, at least while * is not answering.

    >Curiousity: although in this modified scenario Asterisk wouldn't answer
    >the incoming call immediately, would it push the ring notification on to
    >its extension(s)? If so, am I correct surmising that when the extension
    >answered, Asterisk would therefore answer the incoming call and patch
    >it through immediately?

    Asterisk will do what the dialplan tells it to do.

    Normally on an incoming call, you design the dialplan to not answer
    the call, but to then call another phone - when this phone answers,
    asterisk will then answer the incoming call and bridge the 2 together.

    It will also answer an incoming call if you brige that call to some
    services - such as voicemail, call queuing, etc.

    Or you can answer the call in the dialplan, then play music on hold to
    the caller, thus costing them money if it's billable, then ring another
    phone, etc... You do this when you're a greedy operator at the end of
    a revenue generating number ...

    Without seeing your dialplan, it's hard to tell what your asterisk is
    doing though. A complication is web-based front-ends such as FreePBX,
    etc. which generate the dialplan for you.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 24, 2009
  17. Graham.

    Chris Davies Guest

    Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > Normally on an incoming call, you design the dialplan to not answer
    > the call, but to then call another phone - when this phone answers,
    > asterisk will then answer the incoming call and bridge the 2 together.

    Thank you
    Chris

    Chris Davies, Nov 24, 2009