Re: Questions about Content of 70-270 Exam

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by LnkWizard, May 5, 2006.

  1. LnkWizard

    LnkWizard Guest

    "simplistech" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, I am a system admin in a win2k shop. I've been in my current job
    > for 6+ years, in the IT business for about 10 year. The only cert I
    > have is a CNA from Novell. I do a little bit of everything both on
    > servers and on win2k client boxes. If there is something I need to do
    > and do not know how to do it I call outside support.
    >
    > I am starting to read for the 70-270 exam and notice there are many
    > references to setting up things on a server. For example Setting up a
    > RIS server to install XP. There is also a section that goes over
    > setting up a GPO on the server to maintain software.

    As was explained in both my MCDST and MCSA courses,
    depending upon your setup, you need to learn how to do a remote
    installation of the OS. Plus any other variations of the theme
    where your Install software is on one machine and the OS will
    be installed on another machine via a network/remote connection.

    If you can get your hands on legal and legally usable copies of the MOCs,
    courses 2261 and 2262 last time I looked, they could prove useful.

    Lnkwizard2 MCNGP 2^5

    http://www.mcngp.com

    LnkWizard, May 5, 2006

  2. LnkWizard

    Guest

    simplistech wrote:
    > In article <>, lnk.wizard.nodots2
    > @hotmail.com says...
    > >
    > > "simplistech" <> wrote in message
    > > > Ok, I am a system admin in a win2k shop. I've been in my current job
    > > > for 6+ years, in the IT business for about 10 year. The only cert I
    > > > have is a CNA from Novell. I do a little bit of everything both on
    > > > servers and on win2k client boxes. If there is something I need to do
    > > > and do not know how to do it I call outside support.
    > > >
    > > > I am starting to read for the 70-270 exam and notice there are many
    > > > references to setting up things on a server. For example Setting up a
    > > > RIS server to install XP. There is also a section that goes over
    > > > setting up a GPO on the server to maintain software.
    > > >

    > > As was explained in both my MCDST and MCSA courses,
    > > depending upon your setup, you need to learn how to do a remote
    > > installation of the OS. Plus any other variations of the theme
    > > where your Install software is on one machine and the OS will
    > > be installed on another machine via a network/remote connection.
    > >
    > > If you can get your hands on legal and legally usable copies of the MOCs,
    > > courses 2261 and 2262 last time I looked, they could prove useful.
    > >

    > Right I see the value in know all the ways in which to install an OS. I
    > just don't see the value, at least for the 70-270 exam, in needing to
    > know the server requirements for setting up a RIS server or how to setup
    > a GPO on the server. I agree I should know how to setup XP via RIS. I
    > can als see needing to know setting up Loacal GPOs on the XP client
    > machine but not the server.

    Microsoft exams have gotten a lot better and more to the point over the
    years. However, there are still things in them that don't make any
    sense. In this case, you'll just have to accept that you will need to
    know these things to pass the exam.

    Jeroen

    , May 11, 2006