Re: questions about cleaning hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    On 23 Jun 2003 22:41:26 GMT, in
    <>
    Haveajellybaby scrawled:

    >>Subject: Re: questions about cleaning hard drive
    >>From: °Mike°
    >>Date: 6/23/03 5:17 PM Central Daylight Time
    >>
    >>Applications / setup routines etc. all use your TEMP folder -
    >>that's what it's there for. Before doing any disk cleanup,
    >>reboot first, so that any files in the TEMP folder are not
    >>in use, and any setup routines can finish correctly.
    >>
    >>Once you have rebooted, it is safe to empty the windows\temp
    >>folder.
    >>
    >>See my canned response on system maintenance:

    <snip>

    >Mike thanks. Can I set the system to remove these files as
    >SOON as the setup routines are finished or do you not have
    >that option? And is there a reason why you wouldn't WANT to
    >set it up that way?

    No, because many setup routines have to reboot before they
    can finish - usually because some file or process they are
    trying to replace is 'in use' - and rebooting allows them
    to clean up properly. That is the reason you should never
    empty your temp folder until immediately after a reboot.

    Don't get too hung up on files in the TEMP folder, just get
    into the habit of emptying it when Windows first loads; this
    isn't necessary EVERY time, just regularly.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 23, 2003