Re: questions about cleaning hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Plato, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Haveajellybaby wrote:

    > Is this a lot of space taken up? The program seems to have found a ton of
    > stuff in my C drive, specifically Windows temp folder. How do these files end
    > up on my computer if I don't save them? Or are copies of messages that you

    It's just part of windows that it saves old junk in the windows temp
    folders. Sort of like a person who can never toss any garbage out. They
    fill up the attic, basement, garage with garbage just like windows saves
    garbage in the temp folders.

    Perfectly safe to delete when doing a cleanup. NOT safe to delete if
    working on a word doc and your pc crashed as you can get your doc back
    from temp.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jun 23, 2003

  2. >Perfectly safe to delete when doing a cleanup. NOT safe to delete if
    >working on a word doc and your pc crashed as you can get your doc back
    >from temp.

    Hey thanks for the tip. There have been PLENTY of times I've wanted to get
    back something I wrote that was lost. Does it work the same way if you're,
    say, writing a message in email and then the connection is lost when you try to
    send or the power goes out and you didn't save in time? Would the information
    have been stored in the temp folder that can be recovered?
    Haveajellybaby, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Haveajellybaby wrote:

    > >Perfectly safe to delete when doing a cleanup. NOT safe to delete if
    > >working on a word doc and your pc crashed as you can get your doc back
    > >from temp.

    > Hey thanks for the tip. There have been PLENTY of times I've wanted to get
    > back something I wrote that was lost. Does it work the same way if you're,
    > say, writing a message in email and then the connection is lost when you try to
    > send or the power goes out and you didn't save in time? Would the information
    > have been stored in the temp folder that can be recovered?

    Depends on the app. in question. I just used word as an example because
    I've gotton back lots of files from its backup file in windows\temp.
    Personally, other apps I use they save their .bak in their own folder.
    Plato, Jun 24, 2003