Re: Question re:ntfs vs fat32

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. NTFS is the best format to use. It has more fault tolerance than FAT. Which
    is to say, it HAS fault tolerance. Further it is more economical that FAT
    and has security built into it.

    The only reason to have FAT32 would be if you wanted to dual boot a Pc
    between XP and Win98.

    There will be no issues with file sharing between to different PCs. Just
    make sure that the permissions are correctly set if you get "Access Denied"
    messages.

    John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions, Jul 7, 2003

  2. John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions

    Jimchip Guest

    Jimchip, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Howdy!

    "Phil L. B." <> wrote in message

    > You know XP doesn't use NTFS but the next level up HPFS, it' either
    > FAT32 or HPFS.

    (cough) HPFS, or High Performance Filing System, was discontinued
    in the NT family with NT 4.0 ... and it's the OS/2 filing system.

    No, XP uses NTFS. Says so, right on the box and with all CURRENT
    disk utilities.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 9, 2003
  4. John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions

    Phil L. B. Guest

    Try reading an XP partioned drive my Fdisk labels it as HPFS

    Phil L. B., Jul 9, 2003
  5. John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions

    Phil L. B. Guest

    My fdisk lists the XP partition as HPFS

    Phil L. B., Jul 9, 2003
  6. John Haithwaite @ Blue Case Solutions

    Phil L. B. Guest

    Sorry for the double post firewall glitch.

    Phil L. B., Jul 9, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    "Phil L. B." <> wrote in message
    > My fdisk lists the XP partition as HPFS

    Your OLD FDISK lists NTFS as HPFS. That was fixed with MSDOS 7.1
    (aka Win98).

    They use the same partition value, but are slightly different. You
    can think of HPFS from Microsoft as NTFS v1.x and 2.x .

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 9, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    "Phil L. B." <> wrote in message
    > Try reading an XP partioned drive my Fdisk labels it as HPFS

    Funny, Win98SE reads it as NTFS. Try a newer versin of FDISK.

    And try reading sometimes. Or using your brain.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jul 9, 2003