Re: Question: OSPF path selection based on streams

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bod43, Sep 29, 2009.

  1. bod43

    bod43 Guest

    On 28 Sep, 22:39, wrote:
    > OSPF Routing question: Traffic path manipulation
    >
    >   n1  -------      -------      -------  n2
    >  -----|  R1 |------| R2  |------| R3  |------
    >  -----|     |------|     |------|     |------
    >    n2 -------      -------      -------  n4
    >
    > I have 3 OSPF routers. There are two interconnections between each set as
    > shown in the diagram. Traffic is being sent from n1-->n2 and from n2-->n4..
    > Both streams are folowing the OSPF best path between R1, R2, and R3. The
    > problem is that I want some of the traffic to flow through the top links and
    > the other streams to flow through the bottom links (different paths) without
    > the use of ecmp.
    >
    > I'm wondering what is the best way to accomplish this? Would a route policy
    > work such that the policy selects the OSPF next hop for some streams on one
    > set of links while the policy selects the other next hop for the other set
    > of streams? Is there another way to do it?

    In what way is "Electro-Chemical Mechanical Planarization"
    involved?
    bod43, Sep 29, 2009

  2. bod43

    Guest

    bod43 <> wrote in message-id: <>

    > On 28 Sep, 22:39, wrote:
    > > OSPF Routing question: Traffic path manipulation
    > >
    > >   n1  -------      -------      -------  n2
    > >  -----|  R1 |------| R2  |------| R3  |------
    > >  -----|     |------|     |------|     |------
    > >    n2 -------      -------      -------  n4
    > >
    > > I have 3 OSPF routers. There are two interconnections between each set as
    > > shown in the diagram. Traffic is being sent from n1-->n2 and from n2-->n4.
    > > Both streams are folowing the OSPF best path between R1, R2, and R3. The
    > > problem is that I want some of the traffic to flow through the top links and
    > > the other streams to flow through the bottom links (different paths) without
    > > the use of ecmp.
    > >
    > > I'm wondering what is the best way to accomplish this? Would a route policy
    > > work such that the policy selects the OSPF next hop for some streams on one
    > > set of links while the policy selects the other next hop for the other set
    > > of streams? Is there another way to do it?

    > In what way is "Electro-Chemical Mechanical Planarization"
    > involved?

    ecmp = equal cost multi path (routing).

    Check some of the queueing strategies, perhaps custom queueing or class-based
    weighted-fair could be useful here; alot will depend on the end systems.

    hth,

    Jason
    , Sep 29, 2009