Re: Question on Bootable CDs ... Bart's PE and similar

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bill Eitner, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. Bill Eitner

    Bill Eitner Guest

    John Coode wrote:
    > Barry Watzman wrote:
    >> I need a CD that can boot up to a GUI environment and run a current
    >> generation web browser on a PC that has NO hard drive installed at
    >> all. NONE.
    >>
    >> Is this possible? Will "Bart's PE" or any of the other "Boot CDs"
    >> allow doing this?

    > Have a look at PuppyLinux, available as 88MB .iso download from
    >
    > http://www.puppylinux.org/home
    >
    > Can run entirely from RAM. Uses the Seamonkey browser (a Mozilla
    > variant) which may not qualify as 'current generation'.

    I think Seamonkey is the other one that's on
    the version of Knoppix that I have.

    One note: live CDs require a decent amount of RAM.
    For example, today I tried both Bart PE and Knoppix
    on a 1.6 GHz laptop with only 128MB RAM and it was
    terribly slow.
    Bill Eitner, Aug 20, 2008