Re: Question about worm removal...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Ghost, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, "Kathy"
    <> wrote:

    > ------=_NextPart_000_0074_01C37899.4F3971C0
    >
    > A few weeks ago I posted to the NG asking questions about my in-laws =
    > computer having connection problems, well, she called me the other night =
    > and I went over there to see if I could do anything to fix her =
    > computer... well, I unchecked the box that tells the modem to disconnect =
    > after so many minutes. After that I seen she had about ten things in the =
    > systray, so I told her she doesn't need all of these things starting up =
    > at startup. So, I ran the msconfig and went into the Startup folder to =
    > uncheck some things... guess what I found? The msblast.exe (worm)... I =
    > tried my best to download the patch and finally did, but that doesn't =
    > help unless the worm is completely removed. She has NEVER updated any =
    > windows updates or her NAV updates. I tried like hell to update the NAV =
    > files, but each time it tells me there was a problem with the Internet =
    > connection, well, there is no damn problem, unless this could be the =
    > worm preventing me from getting the NAV updates? Anyway, what a mess her =
    > computer is right now and I am the one that has to clean up the mess =
    > just because some people are too damn lazy to get the updates!=20
    >
    > Now I already know about the FixBlast tool, but I want to remove the =
    > worm manually because I want this to be a learning experience for me. I =
    > know the step by step procedures, but what I really want to know is will =
    > I have to do this in Safe Mode, or is it okay to do it in Normal =
    > Startup? The OS is XP and they don't have broadband connection, just =
    > dial-up...
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kathy
    > A+

    The blaster worm is very easy to get rid of, and yes, as with all
    viruses/worms, etc- it is best done in safe mode.

    You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
    all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
    Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
    updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
    different viruses. That was about a year ago.

    Ghost, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not McAfee

    Michael Hoffman, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    In article <3f6283a4$0$42040$>, "Michael
    Hoffman" <> wrote:

    > Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not McAfee
    >
    > "Ghost" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
    > > all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
    > > Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
    > > updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
    > > different viruses. That was about a year ago.

    We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
    thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home, and
    the only thing we sell or recommend- period.

    I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have seen
    each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
    it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
    hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
    having the fix/new defs for it available

    I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
    fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
    Elvis is still alive too... lol

    Ghost, Sep 13, 2003
  4. On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 02:57:12 GMT, (Ghost) wrote:

    >In article <3f6283a4$0$42040$>, "Michael
    >Hoffman" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Which begs the question .. which AV do you use? I'd assume it's not McAfee
    >>
    >> "Ghost" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > You may also have more than just the blaster worm in there. It is not at
    >> > all uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 different viruses infected tons of files.
    >> > Iin my shop, the record is a single computer, which by the way had the
    >> > updated McAfee, had 5,220 files infected (yes, over five thousand) with 4
    >> > different viruses. That was about a year ago.

    >We use strictly Norton. It is the only thing I use at home, the only
    >thing I use at the office, the only thing any of my techs use at home, and
    >the only thing we sell or recommend- period.
    >
    >I have seen almost every other anti-virus program out there, and have seen
    >each and everyone of them fail. So far, I have *NEVER* seen NAV fail if
    >it is up to date- with the only possible exception being when a new virus
    >hits, and there is a lag of a few hours from it hitting the world and NAV
    >having the fix/new defs for it available
    >
    >I know, I know, there are people in here who swear they have seen NAV
    >fail, and think McAfee is the best- but then, there are people who think
    >Elvis is still alive too... lol

    My free AV program (I forget which one it was at the time,
    InnoculateIT, I think) caught a virus forwarded to me by a Norton
    user. He said that his sigs were up to date, and he is an electronics
    technician, so is tech-savvy, but I have no way of knowing if it was.
    He may have thought that up to date meant once a month, and
    InnoculateIT typically had about 250 updates a year.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 13, 2003
  5. Ghost

    lglover Guest

    I think Elvis is alive. I saw him when I was in Vegas a couple of months
    ago. Wait, that was an impersonator.

    lglover, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Ghost

    natural_4u Guest

    I think I read something about Norton's AV Live-update will only update
    every Wednesday.
    But Viruses comes out every day and Norton does have updates for those new
    viruses but you will have to download them manually Via the Intelligent
    Updater.

    natural_4u, Sep 15, 2003
  7. Ghost

    Ghost Guest

    You think wrong...

    I have seen NAV updates every day when the times require it. They update
    them as needed for newly discovered threats.

    The Live Update on 2002 and above automatically update the defs every time
    an internet connection is detected.

    Ghost, Sep 15, 2003
  8. Ghost

    natural_4u Guest