    If you purchase the upgrade, you will save a little money. If you ever
    have to reload, later, you will have to load the origional OS and then
    upgrade it.

    David Hough, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Re: "If you purchase the upgrade, you will save a little money. If you
    ever have to reload, later, you will have to load the origional OS and
    then upgrade it."

    That is not correct.

    An upgrade version can do a full install on a totally blank hard drive,
    DO NOT install an old version first if you want a clean install.

    What will happen is that, because it's an "upgrade version", it will
    want to see the CD from the "older" version being "upgraded", and you
    will have to insert the CD for the "old" version into the CD-ROM drive
    at one point for a "compliance check". But this is strictly a licensing
    issue, no actual files are used from the older version, an "upgrade
    version" is a complete version of the operating system.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Well, if you can accept me verifying my own post, I just did it Saturday
    night with a brand new Maxtor hard drive.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 16, 2003
  4. David Hough

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:01:08 GMT, wrote:

    >Can somone verify this comment as I was not aware of the fact that you
    >could use an upgrade CD on a blank HD.

    Yes.

    Bret, Sep 16, 2003
  5. David Hough

    David Hough Guest

    I stand corrected

    David Hough, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Yes you can. I have been doing it since 98

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Sep 16, 2003