Re: Question about hard drive speed

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Mar 16, 2012.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Fredd Wright wrote:
    > I'm upgrading my 7-year old PC to a Gateway DX4860-UB33P. My only concern
    > is that the hard drive speed is 5400rpm. Currently, i have a 7200rpm C
    > drive and a secondary 7200rpm drive that i use for all my data. I'm going
    > to be transferring the secondary drive into the new PC.
    >
    > My question is, since i use a secondary drive to store all my data files,
    > will i notice a reduction in performance with a c drive that is 5400rpm
    > instead of 7200? Is it worth upgrading the C drive?
    >
    > Fredd

    Rotational speed affects seek time. If the sector you want is on the
    other side of the platter, you have to wait for it to rotate under the
    head. Spinning the platter faster, reduces that component.

    If you're running a file search on the computer, and the computer has
    not created an index, then the seek time determines how long it'll take
    for the search to complete. Or, if you're a software developer, and
    a compile reads a couple thousand 2KB header files, the seek time
    improvement is what you need. That will directly speed up your
    compile and build. (In that example, since the files are so small,
    the compile is always waiting on the disk to finish. So any
    improvement in seek time, really helps.)

    *******

    Rotational speed has an incidental effect on sustained transfer rate.
    The manufacturer may choose to use the latest generation of head
    assembly and amplifier, with increased bandwidth, and that helps
    set the transfer rate and the number of bytes per track. You might
    find, that the 5400 RPM drive, might be very close to the 7200 RPM
    drive. If you check the review for the drive model on Newegg,
    if you're lucky, someone may mention the HDTune sustained transfer
    rate they saw.

    The fastest sustained transfer rate I've seen recently, is on a
    $500 15K RPM drive, with a 180MB/sec sustained transfer rate.
    I can't wait for that tech, to "trickle down" to the $100 drives :)

    The slowest drive I have in the house, is 3600RPM at perhaps 8MB/sec.
    3600RPM isn't that slow, compared to 7200RPM, just a factor of 2.
    But my 125MB/sec 7200 RPM drive is ~15x faster than the mouldy
    oldie. So the sustained transfer rate, bears little resemblance to
    the change in rotational speed. It's an independent improvement
    in head and amplifier design, data coding format, horizontal
    versus vertical recording. The "year of introduction" is a
    more important determinant, of sustained transfer rate, at
    least that's what I see when looking at my junk pile :)

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 16, 2012