Re: Quality warning about "Warner Archive": Time codes now removed!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by globular, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. globular

    globular Guest

    weary flake wrote:
    > The latest batch of "Warner Archive" DVD-rs have the
    > "time codes" removed, so it's harder to keep track of
    > where you are in the movie. This is significant
    > especially with movies like The Power (1968) which
    > follows the movie making style of "random stuff happens
    > for no reason" similar to Modesty Blaise (1966), and
    > in the prestigious tradition of Arsenal (1929). But
    > while Modesty Blaise (1966) is even more confusing,
    > as a movie, than The Power (1968), it's DVD is a
    > properly pressed DVD with "time codes", like almost all
    > DVDs and DVD-rs have, while The Power (1968) has no time
    > code. This means that the DVD Player cannot keep track
    > of where the movie is playing, and what the DVD Player
    > does when it's turned off in the middle of a movie
    > depends on the player, I have two connected at the same
    > time, one (toshiba, which doesn't like scratched discs)
    > keeps it's place in the movie when it's turned on later,
    > and the other (panasonic, which plays scratched discs)
    > never keeps the place and starts on the "splash screen"
    > that starts at the beginning of every Warner Archive
    > disc:
    >
    > FIVE YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON

    if you can, put the video through a program like ProjectX
    which will re-form it into proper video files,
    then if you can, remux into DVD-Video files using a program like IfoEdit.
    I have fixed a couple of faulty DVDs this way.
    Some DVD players are more sensitive than others about time codes flawed.

    globular, Nov 9, 2010

  2. globular

    globular Guest

    weary flake wrote:
    > globular <> wrote:
    >
    >> weary flake wrote:
    >>> The latest batch of "Warner Archive" DVD-rs have the
    >>> "time codes" removed, so it's harder to keep track of
    >>> where you are in the movie. This is significant
    >>> especially with movies like The Power (1968) which
    >>> follows the movie making style of "random stuff happens
    >>> for no reason" similar to Modesty Blaise (1966), and
    >>> in the prestigious tradition of Arsenal (1929). But
    >>> while Modesty Blaise (1966) is even more confusing,
    >>> as a movie, than The Power (1968), it's DVD is a
    >>> properly pressed DVD with "time codes", like almost all
    >>> DVDs and DVD-rs have, while The Power (1968) has no time
    >>> code. This means that the DVD Player cannot keep track
    >>> of where the movie is playing, and what the DVD Player
    >>> does when it's turned off in the middle of a movie
    >>> depends on the player, I have two connected at the same
    >>> time, one (toshiba, which doesn't like scratched discs)
    >>> keeps it's place in the movie when it's turned on later,
    >>> and the other (panasonic, which plays scratched discs)
    >>> never keeps the place and starts on the "splash screen"
    >>> that starts at the beginning of every Warner Archive
    >>> disc:
    >>>
    >>> FIVE YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON

    >> if you can, put the video through a program like ProjectX
    >> which will re-form it into proper video files,
    >> then if you can, remux into DVD-Video files using a program like IfoEdit.
    >> I have fixed a couple of faulty DVDs this way.
    >> Some DVD players are more sensitive than others about time codes flawed.

    > I have no video-editing capabilities or abilities: it's too
    > complicated. But it's not too complicated for my noodle to
    > complain about Warner Archive being careless about DVD
    > authoring and burning.

    it might sound hard but it's just putting the files through a couple of
    free programs without setting anything, not very user friendly perhaps.
    It might take a little more effort though to retain chapters though, but
    it's not important.

    globular, Nov 9, 2010

  3. globular

    gerry Guest

    On Nov 9, 6:23 am, globular <> wrote:
    > weary flake wrote:
    > > The latest batch of "Warner Archive" DVD-rs have the
    > > "time codes" removed, so it's harder to keep track of
    > > where you are in the movie.  This is significant
    > > especially with movies like The Power (1968) which
    > > follows the movie making style of "random stuff happens
    > > for no reason" similar to Modesty Blaise (1966), and
    > > in the prestigious tradition of Arsenal (1929).  But
    > > while Modesty Blaise (1966) is even more confusing,
    > > as a movie, than The Power (1968), it's DVD is a
    > > properly pressed DVD with "time codes", like almost all
    > > DVDs and DVD-rs have, while The Power (1968) has no time
    > > code.  This means that the DVD Player cannot keep track
    > > of where the movie is playing, and what the DVD Player
    > > does when it's turned off in the middle of a movie
    > > depends on the player, I have two connected at the same
    > > time, one (toshiba, which doesn't like scratched discs)
    > > keeps it's place in the movie when it's turned on later,
    > > and the other (panasonic, which plays scratched discs)
    > > never keeps the place and starts on  the "splash screen"
    > > that starts at the beginning of every Warner Archive
    > > disc:

    > > FIVE YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON

    > if you can, put the video through a program like ProjectX
    > which will re-form it into proper video files,
    > then if you can, remux into DVD-Video files using a program like IfoEdit.
    > I have fixed a couple of faulty DVDs this way.
    > Some DVD players are more sensitive than others about time codes flawed.

    Unless you have a computer with a pretty fast CPU (dual core or
    better), it can be very time consuming to correct the missing time
    code. Besides which, if you ever bought a Warner Archive DVD-R, you
    would know that they are not easy to work with even when they have a
    time code, because these DVD-Rs are usually incompatible with computer
    DVD players.

    gerry, Nov 10, 2010
  4. On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:42:03 -0800, weary flake <>
    wrote:

    >globular <> wrote:
    >
    >> weary flake wrote:
    >> > The latest batch of "Warner Archive" DVD-rs have the
    >> > "time codes" removed, so it's harder to keep track of
    >> > where you are in the movie. This is significant
    >> > especially with movies like The Power (1968) which
    >> > follows the movie making style of "random stuff happens
    >> > for no reason" similar to Modesty Blaise (1966), and
    >> > in the prestigious tradition of Arsenal (1929). But
    >> > while Modesty Blaise (1966) is even more confusing,
    >> > as a movie, than The Power (1968), it's DVD is a
    >> > properly pressed DVD with "time codes", like almost all
    >> > DVDs and DVD-rs have, while The Power (1968) has no time
    >> > code. This means that the DVD Player cannot keep track
    >> > of where the movie is playing, and what the DVD Player
    >> > does when it's turned off in the middle of a movie
    >> > depends on the player, I have two connected at the same
    >> > time, one (toshiba, which doesn't like scratched discs)
    >> > keeps it's place in the movie when it's turned on later,
    >> > and the other (panasonic, which plays scratched discs)
    >> > never keeps the place and starts on the "splash screen"
    >> > that starts at the beginning of every Warner Archive
    >> > disc:
    >> >
    >> > FIVE YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON

    >> if you can, put the video through a program like ProjectX
    >> which will re-form it into proper video files,
    >> then if you can, remux into DVD-Video files using a program like IfoEdit.
    >> I have fixed a couple of faulty DVDs this way.
    >> Some DVD players are more sensitive than others about time codes flawed.

    >I have no video-editing capabilities or abilities: it's too
    >complicated. But it's not too complicated for my noodle to
    >complain about Warner Archive being careless about DVD
    >authoring and burning.

    Then see if the 'file' is 'out there' 'somewhere', and simply DL it and
    see if 'we' did a better job than 'they' did.

    http://isohunt.com/

    My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do, Nov 10, 2010
  5. globular

    globular Guest

    gerry wrote:
    > On Nov 9, 6:23 am, globular <> wrote:
    >> weary flake wrote:
    >>> The latest batch of "Warner Archive" DVD-rs have the
    >>> "time codes" removed, so it's harder to keep track of
    >>> where you are in the movie. This is significant
    >>> especially with movies like The Power (1968) which
    >>> follows the movie making style of "random stuff happens
    >>> for no reason" similar to Modesty Blaise (1966), and
    >>> in the prestigious tradition of Arsenal (1929). But
    >>> while Modesty Blaise (1966) is even more confusing,
    >>> as a movie, than The Power (1968), it's DVD is a
    >>> properly pressed DVD with "time codes", like almost all
    >>> DVDs and DVD-rs have, while The Power (1968) has no time
    >>> code. This means that the DVD Player cannot keep track
    >>> of where the movie is playing, and what the DVD Player
    >>> does when it's turned off in the middle of a movie
    >>> depends on the player, I have two connected at the same
    >>> time, one (toshiba, which doesn't like scratched discs)
    >>> keeps it's place in the movie when it's turned on later,
    >>> and the other (panasonic, which plays scratched discs)
    >>> never keeps the place and starts on the "splash screen"
    >>> that starts at the beginning of every Warner Archive
    >>> disc:
    >>> FIVE YEARS IN FEDERAL PRISON

    >> if you can, put the video through a program like ProjectX
    >> which will re-form it into proper video files,
    >> then if you can, remux into DVD-Video files using a program like IfoEdit.
    >> I have fixed a couple of faulty DVDs this way.
    >> Some DVD players are more sensitive than others about time codes flawed.

    > Unless you have a computer with a pretty fast CPU (dual core or
    > better), it can be very time consuming to correct the missing time
    > code. Besides which, if you ever bought a Warner Archive DVD-R, you
    > would know that they are not easy to work with even when they have a
    > time code, because these DVD-Rs are usually incompatible with computer
    > DVD players.

    Computers of the past few years would all have little trouble.
    Bluray, that's another story.
    I really know nothing of Warner Archives, except I can't buy from the
    web site and I can never find anything I want.

    globular, Nov 10, 2010
  6. In message
    <>, gerry
    wrote:

    > Unless you have a computer with a pretty fast CPU (dual core or
    > better), it can be very time consuming to correct the missing time
    > code.

    I don’t see why. The only time-consuming operation is compressing the video,
    which you won’t be doing.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 10, 2010
  7. globular

    gerry Guest

    On Nov 10, 10:47 pm, "Derek Gee" <>
    wrote:
    > "gerry" <> wrote in message

    > >Besides which, if you ever bought a Warner Archive DVD-R, you
    > >would know that they are not easy to work with even when they have a
    > >time code, because these DVD-Rs are usually incompatible with computer
    > >DVD players.

    > What do you find "incompatible" about them?  I've never seen this problem
    > with any other DVD-R's, but I don't have any of the Warner Archive titles
    > either.
    >
    > Derek

    Derek, buy a Warner DVD-R and read the advisory note on the back of
    the cover where Warner tells you: "This disc is expected to play in
    DVD Video "Play Only" devices, and may not play back in other DVD
    devices, including recorders and PC drives." Warner Archive puts that
    warning there for a reason, their DVD-Rs usually don't play in your PC
    DVD player.

    As to the other poster's comment about compressing the video, whoever
    compresses video? The easiest way to replace the time code is to re-
    record the DVD-R on a DVD recorder, but that means you have to defeat
    the copy protection on the Warner DVD-R.

    Warner Archive has buyers of its DVD-R jumping through hoops, paying
    high prices for cut rate merchandise and sometimes selling telecined
    video movies ("If A Man Loves" with John Barrymore) on DVD-R. SD DVD
    buyers expect time coded DVDs that playback at 24 fps, not
    surprises.

    gerry, Nov 11, 2010
  8. globular

    globular Guest

    gerry wrote:
    > On Nov 10, 10:47 pm, "Derek Gee" <>
    > wrote:
    >> "gerry" <> wrote in message

    >>> Besides which, if you ever bought a Warner Archive DVD-R, you
    >>> would know that they are not easy to work with even when they have a
    >>> time code, because these DVD-Rs are usually incompatible with computer
    >>> DVD players.

    >> What do you find "incompatible" about them? I've never seen this problem
    >> with any other DVD-R's, but I don't have any of the Warner Archive titles
    >> either.
    >>
    >> Derek

    > Derek, buy a Warner DVD-R and read the advisory note on the back of
    > the cover where Warner tells you: "This disc is expected to play in
    > DVD Video "Play Only" devices, and may not play back in other DVD
    > devices, including recorders and PC drives." Warner Archive puts that
    > warning there for a reason, their DVD-Rs usually don't play in your PC
    > DVD player.
    >
    > As to the other poster's comment about compressing the video, whoever
    > compresses video? The easiest way to replace the time code is to re-
    > record the DVD-R on a DVD recorder, but that means you have to defeat
    > the copy protection on the Warner DVD-R.
    >
    > Warner Archive has buyers of its DVD-R jumping through hoops, paying
    > high prices for cut rate merchandise and sometimes selling telecined
    > video movies ("If A Man Loves" with John Barrymore) on DVD-R. SD DVD
    > buyers expect time coded DVDs that playback at 24 fps, not
    > surprises.

    I want one of these darn things to try.

    globular, Nov 14, 2010
  9. globular

    Film Buff Guest

    I have an LG Blu-Ray drive in my computer and have not had a problem playing

    Warner archive DVD-R in it.

    Works Perfectly!

    Film Buff, Nov 15, 2010
  10. globular

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    In article
    <>,
    gerry <> wrote:

    > On Nov 10, 10:47 pm, "Derek Gee" <>
    > wrote:
    > > "gerry" <> wrote in message

    > > >Besides which, if you ever bought a Warner Archive DVD-R, you
    > > >would know that they are not easy to work with even when they have a
    > > >time code, because these DVD-Rs are usually incompatible with computer
    > > >DVD players.

    > > What do you find "incompatible" about them?  I've never seen this problem
    > > with any other DVD-R's, but I don't have any of the Warner Archive titles
    > > either.
    > >
    > > Derek

    > Derek, buy a Warner DVD-R and read the advisory note on the back of
    > the cover where Warner tells you: "This disc is expected to play in
    > DVD Video "Play Only" devices, and may not play back in other DVD
    > devices, including recorders and PC drives." Warner Archive puts that
    > warning there for a reason, their DVD-Rs usually don't play in your PC
    > DVD player.

    They tell you that right on the site. It's not a function of the disc
    being a DVD-R, it's copyright protection. Also, you can't download
    their movies on a Mac. There's all sort of compatability problems with
    Warner MOD, which is why I've yet to buy one, and likely never will,
    even though they have a lot of movies I want.

    --
    "Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
    Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

    Anim8rFSK, Nov 15, 2010