Re: Punch Drunk Love

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Arkon24fps, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Arkon24fps

    Arkon24fps Guest

    TonyAtRest <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone understand why Punch Drunk Love, which has just over two hours

    total
    > material, was issued as a 2-disc set? Hidden items?
    >
    > Tony
    >

    > "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
    >
    > Buzzcocks, 1976

    I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
    Anderson, is it any good? Really?

    Arkon24fps, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Arkon24fps

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Arkon24fps wrote in
    <YOgOa.72359$>:

    >TonyAtRest <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone understand why Punch Drunk Love, which has just over two hours

    >total
    >> material, was issued as a 2-disc set? Hidden items?
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    >> "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
    >>
    >> Buzzcocks, 1976

    >I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
    >Anderson, is it any good? Really?

    If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass.

    Steve Hanson, Jul 7, 2003

  3. On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:00:56 GMT, "Arkon24fps" <>
    wrote:

    >TonyAtRest <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone understand why Punch Drunk Love, which has just over two hours

    >total
    >> material, was issued as a 2-disc set? Hidden items?
    >>
    >> Tony
    >>

    >> "I'm living in this movie, but it doesn't move me...."
    >>
    >> Buzzcocks, 1976

    >I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
    >Anderson, is it any good? Really?

    Yes really.

    It got Anderson Best Director prize at Cannes and from the Toronto
    Film Critics Association, for one thing.

    And it actually creates a context where an Adam Sandler performance
    makes sense in human terms.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Jul 7, 2003
  4. >I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by P.T.
    >Anderson, is it any good? Really?

    PDL is a good film. Just don't have any preconceived notions and you might
    enjoy it.

    As for the extras, a friend of mine bought the DVD and I saw the extras, and
    they're not particularly interesting, though the Mattress Men commercial is
    pretty funny.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    Sydney Assbasket, Jul 7, 2003
  5. Arkon24fps

    Codswallop Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:54:25 GMT, Steve Hanson wrote in alt.video.dvd:

    >>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by
    >>P.T. Anderson, is it any good? Really?
    >>

    > If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass.

    I don't think many of Sandler's die-hard fans would like this film.

    --
    - Cods

    (un ROT-13 to e-mail)

    Codswallop, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Arkon24fps

    Ollie T Guest

    "If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass"

    Actually, I think the opposite is true. If you do not like Sandler, this is
    the movie you should watch to see him pull off a different act. If you like
    Sandler as a slap-stick, rough, comedian, then you might be dissapointed in
    him. Either way, I thought this was a really good and entertaining film.
    It is definately worth watching.

    Ollie T, Jul 8, 2003
  7. Arkon24fps

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Codswallop wrote in <Xns93B25F084D87Acodswallopcom@139.132.1.4>:

    >On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:54:25 GMT, Steve Hanson wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >
    >>>I have not seen this movie. Aside from the fact that it is directed by
    >>>P.T. Anderson, is it any good? Really?
    >>>

    >> If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass.

    >I don't think many of Sandler's die-hard fans would like this film.

    I'm a die-hard Sandler fan, I loved it. He's the focus of the story
    and his personality dominates most of the scenes. What's not to like?

    Steve Hanson, Jul 8, 2003
  8. Arkon24fps

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Ollie T wrote in <LeuOa.47556$>:

    >"If you like Sandler you'll like this movie. If not, pass"
    >
    >Actually, I think the opposite is true.

    Most of the people saying this appear not to be Sandler fans. So what
    would they know? Let's hear from Sandler fans who hated this flick.
    Otherwise I think I made a good call.

    Steve Hanson, Jul 8, 2003
  9. Arkon24fps

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Mark B. wrote in <>:

    >Just the opposite. I don't particularly care for most of his movies, but
    >this was different than anything he's done before and I enjoyed it.

    Yeah, I've never seen anything like Sandler as a put-upon schlup with
    anger issues. Totally new, PTA exploring pristine wilderness, etc.
    etc. etc. Get real. The only thing new on display was that it was
    less slapstick than some of his other movies. If you liked PDL and
    don't like anything else he's done, you've probably just got a large
    stick wedged up your ass and can't bear to laugh at slapstick unless
    it is toned down 1000%.

    Steve Hanson, Jul 8, 2003