Re: Public Address

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gordon Henderson, Sep 11, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    Jono <> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >Has anyone any suggestions for connecting a Tannoy or PA amplifier to
    >an IP-PBX?
    >
    >Regular PBXes have a specific connection for the amp; anything suitable
    >for an IP-PBX?

    Cheap (Grandstream ;-) Phone set to auto-answer with a cable running
    from their speaker jack.

    Or ... Maybe use the line-out jack on the back of an PC based unit, then
    dial an extension that calls the console phone... (asterisk). Not sure
    it can auto-answer though - I'd need to check.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 11, 2008

  2. In article <gabuhn$1nbj$>,
    Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >Jono <> wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Has anyone any suggestions for connecting a Tannoy or PA amplifier to
    >>an IP-PBX?
    >>
    >>Regular PBXes have a specific connection for the amp; anything suitable
    >>for an IP-PBX?

    >Cheap (Grandstream ;-) Phone set to auto-answer with a cable running
    >from their speaker jack.
    >
    >Or ... Maybe use the line-out jack on the back of an PC based unit, then
    >dial an extension that calls the console phone... (asterisk). Not sure
    >it can auto-answer though - I'd need to check.

    Checked. Yep, it's possible in asterisk to get the audio-out jacks to
    work and auto-answer a call.

    But for another type of IP-PBX, (non asterisk), then an auto-answer
    phone with a lead plugged into the speaker socket might do the trick...

    Gordon
    (Who'll now add that to the product spec ;-)

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 11, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    Jono <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson was thinking very hard :
    >> In article <>,
    >> Jono <> wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone any suggestions for connecting a Tannoy or PA amplifier to
    >>> an IP-PBX?
    >>>
    >>> Regular PBXes have a specific connection for the amp; anything suitable
    >>> for an IP-PBX?

    >> Cheap (Grandstream ;-) Phone set to auto-answer with a cable running
    >> from their speaker jack.

    >I didn't know they had a speaker jack. If that's the case that could be
    >a very good idea.

    A BT200 would do. It will recognise when something is plugged into the
    socket - you need a 4-way 2.5mm jack though - not sure how it's wired
    up... The phone will auto-answer with the right runes in it's web-setup
    and the right sip-header sent to it - that might be an issue for the
    Cisco PBX though.... (but maybe not!)

    >Thank you.

    Cheers,

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 11, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    Jono <> wrote:

    >Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant a PC running a softfone - you
    >meant Asterisk box itself. Very good.
    >
    >> But for another type of IP-PBX, (non asterisk), then an auto-answer
    >> phone with a lead plugged into the speaker socket might do the trick...
    >>
    >> Gordon
    >> (Who'll now add that to the product spec ;-)

    >Hehe. I'll try to think of some others.....what about using the audio
    >in for music on hold?

    Yup.

    The only issue I have right now is setting the volume levels - although
    there are some basic command-line interfaces to the Linux ALSA stuff -
    just need to write a web wrapper.

    >The reason I didn't pester you by email for this is that it's for a
    >Cisco IP PBX (a friend's son's problem, thank fully)

    Wash your mouth out ;-)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Gordon Henderson

    alexd Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:44:38 +0100, Jono wrote:

    > The reason I didn't pester you by email for this is that it's for a
    > Cisco IP PBX (a friend's son's problem, thank fully)

    Judging by the hits I get on cisco.com for "overhead paging", I think the
    answer is going to be either some kind of hack, involving the cheapest IP
    phone you can find that will do auto-answer and a soldering iron, or a
    paging adaptor like a Valcom unit, or buy[!] a paging application for CCM.
    You can even get SIP, PoE ceiling speakers, that are presumably capable of
    auto-answer.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()

    alexd, Sep 11, 2008