Re: Protection Against Keylogging

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Root Kit, Feb 11, 2009.

  1. Root Kit

    Root Kit Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:02:15 -0000, "Glen" <> wrote:

    >Is there anyone in here over the age of 13?

    Since you don't even seem to understand what the teens are trying to
    tell you, that probably wouldn't make a difference.
    Root Kit, Feb 11, 2009

  2. Root Kit

    Bit Twister Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:07:40 -0000, Glen wrote:

    > Basically, of course the answer is not to get a keylogger on your machine to
    > start with. That's common sense. But my question was how to protect
    > yourself just in case.

    If you are going to run Micro$oft there is not much you can do because
    of the constants exploits being found. Not to mention malware morphing
    or being created about every 20 seconds. Click a few dates here
    http://www.commtouch.com/Site/ResearchLab/VirusLab/recent_activity.asp
    for detection time.

    Now, you would be much safer doing any internet work in a Virtual
    Machine (VM) and delete the machine state after each use.
    http://virtualbox.org has a VM which is pretty easy to use. Of
    course that can be pretty expensive since Micro$soft would require you
    to buy a copy of VISTA/WIN7 to load in the VM guest.

    You should also consider having a different account on your machine
    for each internet activity requiring a login/pw. That would help keep
    _some_ of the malware in that account only, assuming those accounts run
    without admin privs.

    Separate account for bank, creditcard and browsing would help keep a
    cross-site exploit from getting sensitive information.

    I run Mandriva Linux with separate accounts for the above and each
    email account. I click a desktop icon like bank. It automagically logs
    into the linux bank account, launches firefox with the bank's url.
    Upon exit, .bash_logout deletes the firefox directory and creates a
    pristine copy for next time.

    Same for my linux browsing account. That way any malware executed on
    browser can not find any information from the linux bank account.

    Since black hats are going after Ad sites, you might consider something
    like http://www.privoxy.org/ with a starter rule set from
    http://www.neilvandyke.org/privoxy-rules/ and use NoScript add on for
    firefox.
    Bit Twister, Feb 11, 2009

  3. Root Kit

    Root Kit Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:07:40 -0000, "Glen" <> wrote:

    >"Root Kit" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Is there anyone in here over the age of 13?

    >> Since you don't even seem to understand what the teens are trying to
    >> tell you, that probably wouldn't make a difference.

    >LOL. I expected more of a response than this.

    Really?

    >Basically, of course the answer is not to get a keylogger on your machine to
    >start with.

    Exactly.

    >That's common sense.

    It is.

    >But my question was how to protect yourself just in case.

    You mean how to protect yourself *after* a keylogger has eventually
    been installed?

    >We are not all sat behind Checkpoint firewalls with
    >a Network Engineer protecting us.

    No. And that's not even needed in order for an individual to be on the
    net in a relatively safe way. In fact, relying on gateway firewalls to
    protect the individual endpoints isn't very clever.
    Root Kit, Feb 12, 2009
  4. Root Kit

    Ari© Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:07:40 -0000, Glen wrote:

    > Basically, of course the answer is not to get a keylogger on your machine to
    > start with. That's common sense. But my question was how to protect
    > yourself just in case. We are not all sat behind Checkpoint firewalls with
    > a Network Engineer protecting us.

    Why not ask whether or not you can drive safely at 200kmh? Some can,
    some can't. How are we supposed to know your own capabilities? I left my
    fucking crystal ball back home.

    How about a generic answer then?

    Yes, some people can detect and remove keyloggers, some people cannot
    detect and remove keyloggers.

    Yes, some people can prevent keyloggers, some people cannot prevent
    keyloggers.
    --
    Meet Ari! http://tr.im/1fa3
    "To get concrete results, you have to be confrontational".
    Ari©, Feb 13, 2009