Re: Protecting your computer from worms/viruses

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Vogan, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Vogan

    Vogan Guest

    > 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

    Having
    > the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
    > as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
    > infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
    > worm on your computer.

    <SNIP>

    I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
    ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
    Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster

    Cheers
    Vaughan

    Vogan, Aug 18, 2003

  2. On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <> wrote:

    >> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

    >Having
    >> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
    >> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
    >> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
    >> worm on your computer.
    >>

    ><SNIP>
    >
    >I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
    >ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
    >Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
    >
    >Cheers
    >Vaughan

    Simple use the XP updates..

    Robert Mathews, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Vogan

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <> wrote:
    >

    >>> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

    >>Having
    >>> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
    >>> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
    >>> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
    >>> worm on your computer.
    >>>

    >><SNIP>
    >>
    >>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
    >>ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
    >>Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Vaughan
    >>

    >Simple use the XP updates..

    Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.

    Invisible, Aug 18, 2003
  4. On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:27:39 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    >wrote:

    >>>Having
    >>>>

    >>><SNIP>
    >>>
    >>>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
    >>>ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
    >>>Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Vaughan
    >>>

    >>Simple use the XP updates..

    >Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.

    Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a stupid
    teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 18, 2003
  5. On 18 Aug 2003 Robert Mathews wrote :

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:27:39 +1200, Invisible <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews
    >><> wrote:

    >>>Simple use the XP updates..

    >>Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.
    >>

    > Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a
    > stupid teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.

    Produce evidence of your assertion - REAL evidence - or stand proven to be
    full of it, as usual.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - Society prepares the crime, the criminal commits it.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 18, 2003
  6. On 18 Aug 2003 Robert Mathews wrote :

    > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:32:45 +0000 (UTC), Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 18 Aug 2003 Robert Mathews wrote :

    >>> Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a
    >>> stupid teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most
    >>> here.
    >>>

    >>Produce evidence of your assertion - REAL evidence - or stand proven
    >>to be full of it, as usual.

    > What not another teenage Drip..

    Definitely not. Probably within ten years of your own age, certainly no
    "drip", and not willing to put up with your crap. So stick that in your
    choker and squat on it!

    --
    Nicolaas.

    - I may be stupid ... but I'm still a good 50 IQ points ahead of you!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Vogan

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    > So stick that in your
    > choker and squat on it!
    >
    > --
    > Nicolaas.
    >

    > - I may be stupid ... but I'm still a good 50 IQ points ahead of you!

    LOL. Way to go Nicolaas.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Vogan

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:51:56 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    wrote:

    >>>Simple use the XP updates..

    >>Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.
    >>

    >Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a stupid
    >teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.

    So you deny posting FACTS & LINKS about XP patches causing slow downs?

    Invisible, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Vogan

    whoa Guest

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:51:56 +1200, Robert Mathews <>
    said

    >Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a stupid
    >teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.

    Yes, but the thing you know was outdated shortly after ERNIE was
    commissioned.

    whoa, Aug 19, 2003
  10. Vogan

    Vogan Guest

    > > I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster

    and
    > > ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
    > > Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster

    > Nice anecdotal story, but I don't believe blaster came through your
    > machine with ICF enabled. If ICF was on, on your exposed interfaces,
    > then port 135 would be dropped, msblaster worm could never have
    > exploited your rpc dcom interface.
    >
    > Makes no difference what sort of firewall you are running in this
    > regard. A drop or a block is exactly the same.

    It is a true story tho, the machine had ICF enabled and still got blaster.
    The main reason I don't like ICF is the lack of control over the firewall.

    Vogan, Aug 20, 2003
  11. Vogan

    Brett Cooper Guest

    You might have been a bit over protective. Just the AV software and an easy
    firewall would have been ok. All that adaware/spybot would affect kazaa and
    many other good programs.

    Brett Cooper, Aug 21, 2003
  12. Brett Cooper wrote:
    > You might have been a bit over protective. Just the AV software and
    > an easy firewall would have been ok. All that adaware/spybot would
    > affect kazaa and many other good programs.

    Kazaa is not a good program. It probaby gets the Roger crapmark ©. Use Kazaa
    Lite instead. Kazaa without the spyware.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 21, 2003