Re: Protecting your computer from worms/viruses

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Mathews, Aug 16, 2003.

  1. Joe Bloggs wrote:
    > Here is what to do to get protected and stay protected.

    Update XP using the Windows Update Service included in the software.

    No cost, no worries, no Blaster. ANd only takes a small amount of
    intelligence.

    Why so many got smacked up by the Blaster when a patch was available but
    people chose not to update is beyond me.

    Why XP needs so many patches is a different conversation.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 16, 2003

  2. "Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in message news:<bhmaqh$dek$>...

    > Why so many got smacked up by the Blaster when a patch was available but
    > people chose not to update is beyond me.

    I think this Blaster worm is the first time many people have even
    heard of Windows Update.

    > Why XP needs so many patches is a different conversation.

    Because software developers are still useless I guess?

    I have a laptop running a popular Linux distribution, and it's
    security advisorary lists are similarly active, in fact, probably more
    active than Microsoft's when I think about it. I don't think I've had
    to run Windows Update since the RPC vulnerability last month. I also
    find Windows Update is easier to use to apply the patches as well.
    Linux is not exactly hard either, but I don't even need to think to do
    it with Windows.

    David @ Japan, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Robert Mathews

    Bobs Guest

    David @ Japan wrote:
    > "Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in message news:<bhmaqh$dek$>...
    >

    >>Why so many got smacked up by the Blaster when a patch was available but
    >>people chose not to update is beyond me.

    > I think this Blaster worm is the first time many people have even
    > heard of Windows Update.
    >

    >>Why XP needs so many patches is a different conversation.

    > Because software developers are still useless I guess?
    >
    > I have a laptop running a popular Linux distribution, and it's
    > security advisorary lists are similarly active, in fact, probably more
    > active than Microsoft's when I think about it. I don't think I've had
    > to run Windows Update since the RPC vulnerability last month. I also
    > find Windows Update is easier to use to apply the patches as well.
    > Linux is not exactly hard either, but I don't even need to think to do
    > it with Windows.

    Much like the overly emotional hippies and their whales, you're wasting
    your time with the Linux crowd. Apparently Microsoft writing millions of
    lines of code without a single bug is not only possible, but expected.
    And when MS support their products it's actually a bad thing.

    Like I said, hippies and communists. Not an attractive lot. However,
    they do keep me on my toes and give me a an output to vent my righteous
    fury.

    --
    Idiot: "You are what you eat"
    Bobs: "Tell me, have you ever eaten pussy?"

    (see Bobs' Book of Quotes)

    Bobs, Aug 20, 2003
  4. On 20 Aug 2003 01:50:22 -0700, (David @ Japan) wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote in message news:<bhmaqh$dek$>...
    >
    >> Why so many got smacked up by the Blaster when a patch was available but
    >> people chose not to update is beyond me.

    >I think this Blaster worm is the first time many people have even
    >heard of Windows Update.

    Crap its automatic and in the Start thing..

    Robert Mathews, Aug 20, 2003
  5. On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:30:22 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:

    >>I think this Blaster worm is the first time many people have even
    >>heard of Windows Update.

    > Crap its automatic and in the Start thing..

    Automated updates only happen after a manual update has happened at least
    once.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 20, 2003
  6. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > >>I think this Blaster worm is the first time many people have even
    > >>heard of Windows Update.

    > > Crap its automatic and in the Start thing..

    > Automated updates only happen after a manual update has happened at least
    > once.

    That's not true. Once AU detects a network connection for the first time it
    will ask you whether you want to turn it on or not. It doesn't require a
    manual update of the Windows Update site.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 21, 2003