Re: Pro's don't clean their lenses.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 18, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jul 18, 2012

  2. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    RichA <> wrote:

    > Cleaning a lens with a Lens Pen isn't much better than using a dirty
    > shirt.

    nonsense. of course it is.
    nospam, Jul 18, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 18, 3:41 pm, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > > Cleaning a lens with a Lens Pen isn't much better than using a dirty
    > > shirt.

    > nonsense. of course it is.

    A lens pen brush is ok to use, but using that pad on the things, re-
    using them to clean a lens is a recipe for disaster. Most of the
    airborne dust we see is human skin, pollen, but a good percentage is
    quartz, beach sand, and is hardness 7 on the MOH scale. Lens glass
    ranges from hardness 4 to about 5.5 which is easily scratched by the
    quartz. If enough of that crap is picked-up and accumulated by the
    pad on a lens pen, it'll act as an abrasive on whatever lens you are
    using it.
    RichA, Jul 20, 2012