Re: Pro's don't clean their lenses.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 18, 2012.

  1. David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 18, 2012

  2. David Dyer-Bennet

    otter Guest

    On Jul 17, 9:53 pm, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > Eric Stevens <> writes:
    > >http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&t...

    > Lensrentals.com cleans their lenses
    > <http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning...>.

    Yeah, but the people they rent to expect to get a clean lens. Also,
    read their comment at the end of that article:

    Is All This Necessary?

    Absolutely not. Those of you who wear glasses just take them off and
    look at them. They can be fairly filthy and not interfere with your
    vision. The front element of your lens can also be fairly filthy and
    not affect image quality at all. If you don’t believe me go put a a
    couple of 1/4 inch wide piece of post-it note on your front element
    and take some pictures. You won’t be able to tell it was there, any
    more than you can tell a fair amount of dust is there. Or look at our
    example or Kurt Munger’s. That being said, very wide angle lenses at
    small apertures may be the one exception to the rule: the depth of
    field in that case may come close to bringing front element dirt or
    scratches into the plane of focus. Maybe.

    Oily films or haze or thick coatings of dust can definitely affect
    image quality, though, and probably should be cleaned as soon as
    possible. However, lots of small scratches can affect contrast and
    deep scratches can cause lens flare, so the key is to keep your lenses
    reasonably clean but avoid putting multiple cleaning scratches on the
    front element. So we believe blower, brush, and meticulously clean
    (read single use) cloths for cleaning are the key.

    But that’s just our opinion. We know breathing on the lens and using
    the corner of your T-shirt usually works. Almost any cleaning method
    usually works and has it’s advocates. Just letting the lens be
    incredibly dirty usually works, too. But most of us (and as best I can
    tell all of our customers) like their gear to look as good as it did
    when they first got it, and these are the methods we use to do that.

    otter, Jul 18, 2012