Re: proprietary or upgradable?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Barry Watzman, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. That computer is almost worthless, as are any computers of that age.
    It's worth perhaps $100. It would help if you knew the CPU speed and type.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 21, 2003

  2. On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:33:21 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >That computer is almost worthless, as are any computers of that age.
    >It's worth perhaps $100. It would help if you knew the CPU speed and type.

    I recall a friend once saying that, while something may be
    technologically obsolete, they are not necessarily functionally
    obsolete. Didn't I read somewhere awhile back about US space items
    (shuttle? satellites?) using 80486 CPU's?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 22, 2003

  3. I don't think the Space shuttle has 486's as it's processor since the last
    shuttle built. Endeavour (Delivered May 1991) and the first one,
    Enterpriseand (Delivered Jan 1977) and with the 486 not invented/released
    till 1989.

    In my opinion, the build time and development for a system as tightly
    coupled/complex as the shuttle wouldn't have technology so new in it I would
    imagine.
    But yes the computers even on the newest one are probably antiques when they
    were built. Even though the astronauts do use palm tops and small notebooks
    for things, the onboard systems are fairly primitive. I can't find
    references to the onboard systems on the NASA website though.

    C. Philip Cutler II, Oct 22, 2003