Re: proprietary or upgradable?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Hill Street Blues, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. In article <>,
    says...
    > A friend is wanting a new computer and trying to sell me their old one. It is a
    > Compaq w/ AMD processor- don't know speed, 60 M Ram , and 4GB HD and 14"
    > monitor. They say it is 4yrs old , but it sounds more like 5 judging from
    > original equipment. Anyhow my question is what is this thing worth. I have
    > heard Compaq is proprietary equipment and upgrading RAM and boards requires
    > more specific parts than regular clones. I don't have a clue...can anyone tell
    > me?

    $489 will buy you a brand new COMPAQ WITH a 40 gig hard drive at
    WALMART anywhere in the country. A 1998 edition of COMPUTER SHOPPER that
    I have sitting in front of me shows me that 4GB hard drives were standard
    in most COMPAQ Computers by the middle and end of 1998. So, you are right
    about it being 5 years old. If the computer is in reasonably good
    condition with all software, manuals etc, it's probably worth $50.00.
    Don't pay anymore than that, because it's not WORTH anymore than that.

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 19, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > ok....thanks for the info.That is half the equation, do you know anything about
    > upgrading a Compaq. Can I use any third party RAM, CD, Hard drive ,modem..etc?

    third party ram--yes CD-YES Hard drive--yes modem--go with external

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 19, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hill Street Blues <> wrote in
    >
    > > $489 will buy you a brand new COMPAQ WITH a 40 gig hard drive at
    > > WALMART anywhere in the country. A 1998 edition of COMPUTER
    > > SHOPPER that I have sitting in front of me shows me that 4GB hard
    > > drives were standard in most COMPAQ Computers by the middle and
    > > end of 1998. So, you are right about it being 5 years old. If
    > > the computer is in reasonably good condition with all software,
    > > manuals etc, it's probably worth $50.00. Don't pay anymore than
    > > that, because it's not WORTH anymore than that.

    > With that much wear, I would say more like $10.
    >
    > Adam

    Actually, after I posted my response I had the same thought,
    That $50.00 was really high-balling it. The interesting thing
    about that $498 PC from Walmart, is that it includes a MONITOR!

    As a friend once told me, a $300 car can quickly turn into a
    $1000 car after repairs, and a $50 computer can quickly turn into a
    $350 computer after upgrades. And is it really worth it?
    We all have to answer that question in our own way.

    My customers pay me a good wage to upgrade thier computers
    I love cashing thier checks!
    And lets not forget...
    "Whoever does the Payin, Does the Sayin......."

    Hill Street Blues, Oct 19, 2003
  4. On 19 Oct 2003 03:03:14 GMT, (PSumerlin) wrote:

    >ok....thanks for the info.That is half the equation, do you know anything about
    >upgrading a Compaq. Can I use any third party RAM, CD, Hard drive ,modem..etc?

    It depended on the model at one time. My sister's old Presario 433
    (486sx-33) could handle off the shelf RAM, but a friend's slightly
    newer one a few years ago (P75) had to have Compaq RAM. I don't know
    the situation today.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 21, 2003
  5. The Ram, hard drive, modem are probably standard. The case, motherboard
    and power supply are probably proprietary. Video may be either (it may
    well be on the motherboard).

    Barry Watzman, Oct 21, 2003