Re: Promo Codes - Why not just pay for the exams?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lazyadmin, Nov 7, 2003.

  1. lazyadmin

    lazyadmin Guest

    Cheap is good, free is better, having someone else pay is best!

    lazyadmin, Nov 7, 2003

  2. lazyadmin

    Guest Guest

    Especially if Microsoft then decide the exams have been
    too easy in the beta program and refuse to issue the
    certificate.
    When something is in beta it needs to be extensivily
    tested. The more beta testers the better, and who better
    than the people who parted with the money to get
    certification in the first place.
    Whey shouldn't every MCSA or MCSE for example be offered
    a beta pass? Not everyone will be willing to take the
    time or effort, so microsoft won't get flooded with
    applications and compeleted exams to review.
    I'm not sure what how Microsoft selects it's beta testers
    but there are never enough.
    If only they beta tested the operating systems more then
    all the security patches wouldn't be required - but thats
    a different subject completely !!

    Brian
    MCP
    MCSA
    MCSA:Security
    MCSE
    MCSE:Security

    Guest, Nov 7, 2003

  3. lazyadmin

    Guest Guest

    >Especially if Microsoft then decide the exams have been
    too easy in the beta program and refuse to issue the
    certificate.

    not really the case. It isn't until after the exam is
    taken that the passing score (setting the standard) is
    determined. In that analysis, each question is analyzed to
    see if it was too easy, hard, or just right. Questions may
    be omitted. Then a final passing score is determined. If
    th exam was too easy, then a higher pass score will be
    determined. If the exam turned out to be just too damm
    easy, then the passing score could be set to 900/1000
    which means that you need 90% to pass. In this case it
    might be "back to the drawing board" and redevelop
    questions. I have seen exams (such as the 70-226 with a
    pass score around 550, meaning that you have to get about
    hald the questions right. So the bar to bass can be raised
    to any level (or lowered) so that the correct PERCENTAGE
    of test takers pass.

    >When something is in beta it needs to be extensivily

    tested. The more beta testers the better, and who better
    than the people who parted with the money to get
    certification in the first place.

    Yes it needs to be tested, but the more the better does
    not hold true. The actual minimum number required is
    determined via statistical analysis (stats tell you how
    large a sample will be required). The issue is the
    composition of the sample itself. The sample needs to be
    representative of the average person who would ACTUALLY be
    taking the exam for real. That means someone who takes the
    beta should be at a level of knowledge, skill,
    preparation, etc. of someone who will take the exam (and
    pay for it) after it goes live. If too many "experts" take
    the exam, then it will be an easy exam and the passing
    score will be high. If too many novices take the exam,
    then it will appear hard, and th core will be set too low.
    The objective is to get a pass/fail rate at a particular
    percentage - and regardless of whether you pay for the
    beta exam or use the promo code - you are BOTH guilty of
    skewing the results because you distorted the sampling
    methods used to select the beta testers in the first place.

    >Whey shouldn't every MCSA or MCSE for example be offered

    a beta pass?

    see above, but having your MCSA or MCSE doesn't mean that
    you qualify for the subject material.

    >Not everyone will be willing to take the time or effort,

    so Microsoft won't get flooded with applications and
    compeleted exams to review.

    Disagree on this one. Microsoft invites 500-1000
    candidates to take each beta. The beta period is minimized
    to less than two weeks, in in some cases has even been
    less than a week. If an exam doesn't have enough
    registerants, MS will invite more and when needed extend
    the beta period, as it just did with the SBS (71-282)
    exam. In that case, things were slow (even though the
    promo code WAS leaked), so MS extended the beta period and
    invited some more pople to take it. Maybe some of the
    elective exams (such as SBS) might not attract everyone,
    but core exams and popular electives will attract. In the
    case of the new 71-299 Security exam, which is required
    for MCSA-S/MSCE-S certifcations (core for those, elective
    for others) VUE had a limit of 425, and since Prometric
    was also in the game and they don't coordinate together,
    you can figure that the beta pool of candidates was either
    425 or 850 (425 each for vue & pro), and it is known that
    VUE is at limit, or to say SOLD OUT. And this is within
    days of the promo code. Also keep in mind that the exam
    itself doesn't start beta for another couple of weeks
    (11/26).

    >I'm not sure what how Microsoft selects it's beta testers

    but there are never enough.

    See previous comment

    >If only they beta tested the operating systems more then

    all the security patches wouldn't be required - but thats
    a different subject completely !!

    Let's not bash Microsoft. You have the balls to try to get
    free stuff from them, but you want to complain too?

    Now let me add, in the side to the promo code leechers
    (and I am one too!)

    There are a lot of unqualified people out there trying to
    get a certification (well, I am qualified, I only leech
    codes, yet get invited to most of these anyway). What I
    meant are potential certified prof who haven't any, much,
    sufficient, adequate experience with the technology. In
    that vicious cycle, can't get a job without experience, it
    is the opinion of many that getting certified gets the
    job. So, many of the promo code leechers are students or
    career job changers, or otherwise those that are trying to
    get their foot in the door. Guys like myself have jobs and
    our employer pays for certification in some, most, many of
    the situations. When you look at the number of exams, and
    the preparation required (such as training),
    certifications are a very expensive deal when you look at
    the entire package, not just the exam.

    Why do I take betas? Well, when I pass them (and I have a
    better than 50% pass rate) no one can say that I used
    cheetsheets or testkings or other cheating material -
    because at the time of a beta - this stuff doesn't exist.
    My integrity is better.

    Now keep in mind that when you take a beta, you are
    inconvienced - yet you are required to provide a service.
    The inconvience: waiting 8-12 weeks to find outif you
    passed/failed, and a 4 hour (or in the case of 71-300 a 5
    hour) exam with the entire question pool dumped on you.
    What is your responsibility? To comment, to point out
    mistakes and issues, to help in exam development. This is
    why you get the exam for free, and if you don't
    participate and help, then you are wasting everyone's time.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2003
  4. lazyadmin

    Guest Guest

    Well thanks for ripping my previos post apart left, right
    and center! I've increased my knowledge of the beta
    process no end.
    I've also discovered that both the 271 and 272 have been
    offered to testers in the "helpdesk" sector.
    From my own persepective, i manage a small team of
    helpdesk support people, and i've been eager to obtain
    info on the MCDST qualification since it was announced.

    I'm booked onto the 271 exam as an insight on the
    difficulty level, to see areas covered and to evaluate the
    future possibilities of getting my staff to sit the
    classes when available.

    As a holder of MCSA & MCSE I'm not looking for the MCDST
    qualification, as I hope my other passes will hold me in
    good stead.

    Brian

    Guest, Nov 9, 2003