Re: projector

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ross Matheson, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote, as I was in the mood for a bit of discussion:=)

    : In article <oOlSa.86261$>,
    : says...
    : > Hi, is it possible to use a projector with your computer or a projector
    : > with the monitor as a viewer. Not really knowledgeable about these things.
    : > But I would like to give a 5 min presentation to a group of people without
    : > getting a TV & a video is too small maybe too cumbersome, have heard about
    : > a projector possibility though. Have win 98 2ed, PowerPoint, word 128 ram
    : > 40 gb hard drive.
    : > Any suggestions anyone?
    :
    : If your computer has only one display card or port then you can use a
    : projector that has a monitor output. This means you hook the projector to
    : the video output of your computer and your monitor to the output of the
    : projector. If your computer supports dual displays, Powerpoint and other
    : apps are dual display capable.

    Um ... if the computer has a video output already then surely it is likely
    that the display properties will allow choices of "TV", (S)VGA, or both?
    My low-end 4mb SiS chipset video card does, anyway;-) Surely common?
    In that case you can just connect a video cable to the video projector ...

    Aha, I see;- a semantic confusion! You meant " *monitor* or (S)VGA output
    of your computer", not " *video* output of your computer", as in "TV out".

    If the computer/laptop doesn't have a video-out already then Susie would
    need a "data" projector, i.e. one accepting an SVGA input, would she not?
    Then she just needs an extension (check for gender, m-m or m-f) cable.

    Whether she further needs a monitor pass-through (ie to have a separate
    local computer monitor *as well*, is maybe moot - especially if a laptop.
    Even if a PC, one could just use the "data" projector *as* the "monitor".

    The idea seemed to be to keep the bulk down - maybe it's a laptop?

    Data projectors, ie accepting a computer input as though they were a
    monitor, as contrasted to video projectors, which want a video source.

    Some laptops already have video/tv out as well as provison for an external
    monitor. In that case, any video (only) projector might do. She might have
    to enter Display Properties (in Windows) or otherwise configure the
    machine to give a video out signal as well as the normal monitor picture.
    Usually this will be at a lower (50Hz) refresh rate - monitor pic suffers.
    But this will not matter. Just set up the presentation ready to go before
    the audience arrives - practise - work from the proj image alone even.

    Maybe it's a Macintosh. Maybe it's a desktop PC , unknown video config.
    More detail about the computer might help secure a better answer ... :=})

    If it is a one-off event, perhaps a walk through the Yellow Pages will
    find a data projector for hire - ie a video projector that accepts an SVGA
    feed from the computer/laptop, in lieu of an external monitor,- as well as
    the usual composite/s-video/what-have-you inputs that vid proj's have.

    Or, asking around might find one for loan/hire privately. If you're lucky!

    Other considerations are: being able to adjust the lighting in the room,
    finding a suitable screen, brightness of projector vs size/type of screen,
    and ambient light - how many people the presentation is for, etcetera.
    If it is for a small number of people and you can turn the lights right
    down or off, then you can get away with a less bright projector and a matt
    screen (or even white wall, at a pinch, but black borders are nicer:) -
    if a larger room/screen/crowd with higher ambient light levels, woohoo!
    You'll need a brighter projector and a "brighter"/silver screen, possibly.
    Arrange the image "throw" so that is over heads or down an "aisle" , etc.

    If you do find a hire place, be able to indicate some of the above needs!
    Increasing distance of throw rapidly requires more brightness to light the
    larger screen size, so choose a suitable image size and ask advice.
    Working in daylight or a lit room is vastly different than ideal blackout.
    A brighter projector (measured in "lumens") will probably cost more:=))
    However, video projectors sit much closer to the screen than film ones.

    I hope some of that helps, at least ... just off the top of my head:)
    I haven't flown in the realms of modern data projectors, but logically ...

    (I'm still trying to find service data for an ancient Zenith/GE 3-CRT
    video projector, so I can realise a dream of no-budget big-screen HT:)

    One day ...
    Cheers, RdM.

    Ross Matheson, Jul 20, 2003

  2. "susie" <> wrote:
    in nz.comp<VFCSa.87053$>,
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2003 07:57:10 +1200,
    : Its a desk pc with viewsonic 17" monitor in con pan under sound,video, games
    : there is a soundmax digital thingy there (devices)
    : Does that help
    : Cheers Susie
    Not a whole lot:)
    "in con pan" ???

    Anyway, apart from the "My Computer" > Properties >Device Manager list, you
    can access the Display Properties either by right-click on the desktop, or
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display and choose Settings > Advanced.
    This & the Adapter tab will tell you what card you have, current refresh
    rate, resolution, etc. But all this need not matter much, probably. It
    sounds to me as though you want a data projector, and ideally you will plug
    it in *instead* of the monitor - if there is a "pass-through" monitor
    connection on the projector, then you can plug the monitor back in there
    and have both running, if you want to - and it will all *just work*.

    Have a look in the Yellow Pages under Audio Visual Equipment and see what's
    available at what prices, and talk to whowever you pick about what you need
    in relation to how big a screen for how many people and how light the room
    is, I'd suggest. I'm afraid that's about as much help as I can give:)

    Maybe others here have other or better suggestions, or experience:)

    Regards, RdM.

    Ross Matheson, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Ross Matheson

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote, as I was in the mood for a bit of discussion:=)
    >
    > : In article <oOlSa.86261$>,
    > : says...
    > : > Hi, is it possible to use a projector with your computer or a projector
    > : > with the monitor as a viewer. Not really knowledgeable about these things.
    > : > But I would like to give a 5 min presentation to a group of people without
    > : > getting a TV & a video is too small maybe too cumbersome, have heard about
    > : > a projector possibility though. Have win 98 2ed, PowerPoint, word 128 ram
    > : > 40 gb hard drive.
    > : > Any suggestions anyone?
    > :
    > : If your computer has only one display card or port then you can use a
    > : projector that has a monitor output. This means you hook the projector to
    > : the video output of your computer and your monitor to the output of the
    > : projector. If your computer supports dual displays, Powerpoint and other
    > : apps are dual display capable.
    >
    > Um ... if the computer has a video output already then surely it is likely
    > that the display properties will allow choices of "TV", (S)VGA, or both?
    > My low-end 4mb SiS chipset video card does, anyway;-) Surely common?
    > In that case you can just connect a video cable to the video projector ...
    >
    > Aha, I see;- a semantic confusion! You meant " *monitor* or (S)VGA output
    > of your computer", not " *video* output of your computer", as in "TV out".

    Video output, as in VGA (Video Graphics Array) output. As the cards are
    commonly referred to as video cards.

    Mainlander, Jul 21, 2003