Re: projector resolution

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mark Spatny, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. Mark Spatny

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter), says...

    > It's been a long time since projectors, either three-gun or LCD, were
    > less than 600 Lumens and inadequate for full-quality program
    > projection besting a direct-view set.

    You had me up until you said "besting a direct-view set". You have to
    get a mighty expensive projector to come close to a good direct-view
    screen (none non are better than a real Barco or Sony monitor). But that
    isn't what the original poster was talking about - not if he was
    considering 640x480 resolution.
    Mark Spatny, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Mark Spatny

    John C. Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:18:33 GMT, Mark Spatny
    <> wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter), says...
    >
    >> It's been a long time since projectors, either three-gun or LCD, were
    >> less than 600 Lumens and inadequate for full-quality program
    >> projection besting a direct-view set.

    >You had me up until you said "besting a direct-view set". You have to
    >get a mighty expensive projector to come close to a good direct-view
    >screen (none non are better than a real Barco or Sony monitor). But that
    >isn't what the original poster was talking about - not if he was
    >considering 640x480 resolution.

    Well, even the $999 Infocus X1 is 800x600.
    John C., Sep 1, 2003

  3. On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:18:33 GMT, Mark Spatny
    <> wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter), says...
    >
    >> It's been a long time since projectors, either three-gun or LCD, were
    >> less than 600 Lumens and inadequate for full-quality program
    >> projection besting a direct-view set.

    >You had me up until you said "besting a direct-view set". You have to
    >get a mighty expensive projector to come close to a good direct-view
    >screen (none non are better than a real Barco or Sony monitor). But that
    >isn't what the original poster was talking about - not if he was
    >considering 640x480 resolution.

    Depends upon your parameters. On projectors you can always see the
    pixel structure. You have to get pretty close to a CRT set to notice
    them. Erm, an obvious comparison would be to have a projected image
    the SAME size as a direct view set, say 32", then see which has the
    less annoying artifacts. (obviously the projector would be brighter,
    ignore that factor) Projection sets now at least equal CRT in this
    test when it comes to SuperVGA or better. When an image is made
    larger, such as for a large audience, then one sits further away, and
    gets the same angle of view. - Another test is how well the image
    holds up when sitting rather closer than one should to the screen in
    these circumstances. Again projectors have passed this threshold with
    decreased pixel structure and increased output. Direct-view, such as
    Sony and Barco (I have the latter at home) will for a long while yet
    have better colorimetry and contrast than LCD and DLP projectors, but
    projectors are now definitely good enough to replace CRT's for large
    screen multimedia. And they are more flexible in setup and more
    portable. And that was the main point of this thread. Projection
    all-in-one sets using CRT's are not being considered for this
    comparison.

    I service projectors, and work for a company installing projectors and
    providing presentation support, and have lost count of the number of
    projector setups I've had to deal with, so I DO know of what I speak!

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Sep 1, 2003
  4. Mark Spatny

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Steve(JazzHunter), says...
    > Depends upon your parameters.

    For me it is all about color. If the color and black levels aren't
    right, it's no good. That goes for work, and at home for my personal
    entertainment. That means a LOT more to me than size. I'd rather watch a
    34" widescreen TV with great color (which is what I have) than any
    projector I could have purchased for the same amount of money.
    Mark Spatny, Sep 2, 2003