Re: Progress in Chess: The King's Gambit is solved and this time for sure

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Helmut Wabnig, Apr 4, 2012.

  1. On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:12:08 -0700 (PDT), ??? <>
    wrote:

    >International chess master Vasik Rajlich, also the author of the chess
    >program Rybka has now successfully solved the famous chess opening the
    >King's Gambit and this time with technical means.
    >
    >Vasik built 3000 processor cores and let them run for over four
    >months, exhaustively analysing all lines that follow after 1.e4 e5
    >2.f4 exf4 and came to some extraordinary conclusions.
    >
    >Links:
    >
    >http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8047
    >
    >http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43129

    The computers effectively killed chess, and it is useless to start
    learning this -now- shit game.
    Only by moment of inertia in some countries they proceed
    playing it and offer training to the kids.
    I burned my chess boards recently,
    and had a fine warm cozy evening behind the stove.

    w.
    Helmut Wabnig, Apr 4, 2012

  2. Helmut Wabnig

    ×ª×•× Guest

    On Apr 4, 11:14 pm, Helmut Wabnig <hwabnig@.- --- -.dotat> wrote:

    > The computers effectively killed chess, and it is useless to start
    > learning this -now- shit game.

    Not true. Chess is far from over. The game is not solved yet. Chess
    engines still have bugs and make errors and most people in the world
    do not own a computer which is fast enough to "teach" them all the
    openings perfectly.

    You need to have access to a monstrous supercomputer with 9,000
    processors and running a sophisticated distributed algorithm if you
    want to even start solving all the chess openings and the most
    complicated chess endgames.

    So your statement that computers have killed chess is quite premature
    given that only a very few people in the world have access to these
    monstrous computer hardware and the most sophisticated chess
    algorithm.
    תו×, Apr 4, 2012

  3. Helmut Wabnig

    ×ª×•× Guest

    Chess is not over yet. Although I'm not an expert in chess engine
    programming but the leading experts in the field are saying that chess
    engines have at least another 500+ Elo points to gain.
    תו×, Apr 7, 2012
  4. Helmut Wabnig

    ×ª×•× Guest

    >Chess is not over yet. Although I'm not an expert in chess engine >programming but the leading experts in the field are saying that chess
    >engines have at least another 500+ Elo points to gain.

    Actually this could be 1000 ELO points if you are talking about single-
    core processors.

    If one day chess engines will be able to play perfect chess on an old
    single-core Intel processor, then we can definitely say that chess is
    over.
    תו×, Apr 7, 2012