Re: Professional cameras not allowed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sms88, Aug 18, 2012.

  1. sms88

    sms88 Guest

    On 8/17/2012 11:43 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I need to get a good compact for use in places where "professional"
    > cameras are not allowed. Happened to me today in a cafe on the 56th
    > floor of a skyscraper in Jakarta, Indonesia (the Skye cafe in case you
    > are interested). There was a view of Jakarta, not a great one, but at
    > least some view not through glass. Took a shot with a DSLR and was
    > immediately approached by some clerk who told me that DSLRs are not
    > allowed and pointed to board where it was written that "professional
    > cameras are not allowed...".

    If no professional cameras are allowed you should consider a 4:3 camera
    from Olympus or Panasonic. The sign does not say no D-SLRs, it says no
    professional cameras.
    sms88, Aug 18, 2012

  2. sms88

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/18/2012 10:57 AM, sms88 wrote:
    > On 8/17/2012 11:43 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> I need to get a good compact for use in places where "professional"
    >> cameras are not allowed. Happened to me today in a cafe on the 56th
    >> floor of a skyscraper in Jakarta, Indonesia (the Skye cafe in case you
    >> are interested). There was a view of Jakarta, not a great one, but at
    >> least some view not through glass. Took a shot with a DSLR and was
    >> immediately approached by some clerk who told me that DSLRs are not
    >> allowed and pointed to board where it was written that "professional
    >> cameras are not allowed...".

    > If no professional cameras are allowed you should consider a 4:3 camera
    > from Olympus or Panasonic. The sign does not say no D-SLRs, it says no
    > professional cameras.

    If the enforcer interprets the rule to mean no DSLRs, it means no DSLRs.
    Unless of course you simply want to argue with the enforcer, and not
    take other photos. If I am on vacation, my preference is to relax and
    enjoy, not play argue.

    Even if you're right, is a shot from this place worth the price of a
    whole new, and possibly soon to be obsolete, system.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 18, 2012

  3. sms88

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 07:57:36 -0700, sms88 wrote:

    > On 8/17/2012 11:43 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> I need to get a good compact for use in places where "professional"
    >> cameras are not allowed. Happened to me today in a cafe on the 56th
    >> floor of a skyscraper in Jakarta, Indonesia (the Skye cafe in case you
    >> are interested). There was a view of Jakarta, not a great one, but at
    >> least some view not through glass. Took a shot with a DSLR and was
    >> immediately approached by some clerk who told me that DSLRs are not
    >> allowed and pointed to board where it was written that "professional
    >> cameras are not allowed...".

    > If no professional cameras are allowed you should consider a 4:3 camera
    > from Olympus or Panasonic. The sign does not say no D-SLRs, it says no
    > professional cameras.

    Your points are well taken. I suspect any camera without a viewfinder
    (optical or EVF) but only an LCD on the back, would pass muster. On the
    other hand, it would be interesting to ask the management what they
    consider to be a 'professional camera' - I'm aware of no commonly used
    definition though many would take that to mean SLR. I suspect it's all
    rather nebulous and they simply don't anyone shooting who knows what he/
    she is doing.
    ray, Aug 18, 2012
  4. sms88

    otter Guest

    On Aug 18, 9:57 am, sms88 <> wrote:
    > On 8/17/2012 11:43 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    > > I need to get a good compact for use in places where "professional"
    > > cameras are not allowed. Happened to me today in a cafe on the 56th
    > > floor of a skyscraper in Jakarta, Indonesia (the Skye cafe in case you
    > > are interested). There was a view of Jakarta, not a great one, but at
    > > least some view not through glass. Took a shot with a DSLR and was
    > > immediately approached by some clerk who told me that DSLRs are not
    > > allowed and pointed to board where it was written that "professional
    > > cameras are not allowed...".

    > If no professional cameras are allowed you should consider a 4:3 camera
    > from Olympus or Panasonic. The sign does not say no D-SLRs, it says no
    > professional cameras.

    Concerts sometimes post "no professional cameras" under their camera
    policy, but at the gate it's clear the criteria is whether the camera
    has a removable lens. Sometimes, I do see 4:3 cameras make it in,
    though. If they were asked if the camera lens were removable, they
    lied.

    Silly me, I'd assume a "professional camera" means a 1D body and white
    lens (in the Canon world), but no, they are not that discerning.
    otter, Aug 18, 2012
  5. sms88

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/19/2012 3:50 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <502faf31$0$6468$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > says...
    >> Even if you're right, is a shot from this place worth the price of a
    >> whole new, and possibly soon to be obsolete, system.

    > It's not just this place, I guess there are more places as this one in
    > the world. It's a matter of having a backup camera which is discrete and
    > doesn't catch the eye as a huge DSLR, but is capable of high quality
    > photography. By the way, m4/3 is not obsolete.

    True.
    BTW I said "soon to be obsolete," not "obsolete."

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 19, 2012
  6. sms88

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/21/2012 2:29 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <5030fba9$0$6505$-secrets.com>, PeterN
    > says...
    >> BTW I said "soon to be obsolete," not "obsolete."

    > Why would m4/3 be soon obsolete? The trend nowadays is towards
    > mirrorless cameras. It's DLSRs which will be obsolete one day, not
    > mirrorless cameras.

    The format.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 21, 2012
  7. Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <5033d000$0$1176$-secrets.com>, PeterN

    >> The format.

    > What's wrong with 4:3?

    (Practically) all new monitors are 16:9 or 16:10. Only old
    monitors (or very small ones) are 4:3 any more.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 23, 2012