Re: Processor for photo editting

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rita Berkowitz, Mar 24, 2008.

  1. Focus wrote:

    > I'm thinking of updating my processor, but I've some doubts. Is a Duo
    > core really much faster with NX or PS than a 3.0 P4? Or is it just
    > marginal?

    Well, NX is a real pig for eating up resources.

    > I quite often do batch processing in NX and notice the system halting
    > or even freezing. Specially when using another program simultaneously.
    > Is this typical for a P4 and better with a Duo core?

    What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a Supermicro
    motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will kick butt and they
    are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and you'll be loving life.
    Even Apple went to Xeon processors because they are so good and perform
    better than anything they ever had. I'll never use a system that doesn't
    have at least a pair of Xeons in it.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Rita Berkowitz

    N Guest

    "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of updating my processor, but I've some doubts. Is a Duo
    >> core really much faster with NX or PS than a 3.0 P4? Or is it just
    >> marginal?

    > Well, NX is a real pig for eating up resources.
    >
    >> I quite often do batch processing in NX and notice the system halting
    >> or even freezing. Specially when using another program simultaneously.
    >> Is this typical for a P4 and better with a Duo core?

    > What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a Supermicro
    > motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will kick butt and they
    > are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and you'll be loving life.
    > Even Apple went to Xeon processors because they are so good and perform
    > better than anything they ever had. I'll never use a system that doesn't
    > have at least a pair of Xeons in it.
    >

    > Rita

    "Several gigs of RAM" would indicate the need for a 64 bit OS. I have such
    a system with 4GB RAM. NX works just fine.
    N, Mar 24, 2008

  3. Rita Berkowitz

    Focus Guest

    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of updating my processor, but I've some doubts. Is a Duo
    >> core really much faster with NX or PS than a 3.0 P4? Or is it just
    >> marginal?

    > Well, NX is a real pig for eating up resources.
    >
    >> I quite often do batch processing in NX and notice the system halting
    >> or even freezing. Specially when using another program simultaneously.
    >> Is this typical for a P4 and better with a Duo core?

    > What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a Supermicro
    > motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will kick butt and they
    > are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and you'll be loving life.
    > Even Apple went to Xeon processors because they are so good and perform
    > better than anything they ever had. I'll never use a system that doesn't
    > have at least a pair of Xeons in it.

    I was more thinking in a $200.- range. The Duo 2 core (who ever came up with
    these strange names?) 6600 is suppose to be already twice as fast as my old
    P4. For now I think I'll settle for that.
    But it does seem tempting ;-) You never have "too much" speed...

    --
    Focus
    Focus, Mar 24, 2008
  4. Focus wrote:

    > I was more thinking in a $200.- range. The Duo 2 core (who ever came
    > up with these strange names?) 6600 is suppose to be already twice as
    > fast as my old P4. For now I think I'll settle for that.
    > But it does seem tempting ;-) You never have "too much" speed...

    Keep your $200 in your pocket since it is not worth the effort. Seriously,
    if your goal is to get NX running faster it aint going to happen unless you
    go dual Xeon or better.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 24, 2008
  5. "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Focus wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of updating my processor, but I've some doubts. Is a Duo
    >> core really much faster with NX or PS than a 3.0 P4? Or is it just
    >> marginal?

    > Well, NX is a real pig for eating up resources.
    >
    >> I quite often do batch processing in NX and notice the system halting
    >> or even freezing. Specially when using another program simultaneously.
    >> Is this typical for a P4 and better with a Duo core?

    > What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a Supermicro
    > motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will kick butt and they
    > are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and you'll be loving life.
    > Even Apple went to Xeon processors because they are so good and perform
    > better than anything they ever had. I'll never use a system that doesn't
    > have at least a pair of Xeons in it.
    >

    > Rita

    just as an aside, what model Apple uses the Xeon ??
    just curious (and genuine)

    Don Hirschberg
    Atheist Chaplain, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Atheist Chaplain wrote:

    >> What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a
    >> Supermicro motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will
    >> kick butt and they are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and
    >> you'll be loving life. Even Apple went to Xeon processors because
    >> they are so good and perform better than anything they ever had.
    >> I'll never use a system that doesn't have at least a pair of Xeons
    >> in it.

    > just as an aside, what model Apple uses the Xeon ??
    > just curious (and genuine)

    <http://www.apple.com/macpro/>

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 25, 2008
  7. Rita Berkowitz

    -hh Guest

    "Atheist Chaplain" <> wrote:

    > just as an aside, what model Apple uses the Xeon ??
    > just curious (and genuine)

    The Mac Pro tower. The bang for the buck there is (as usual) the
    midline, which has the newer version of the dual quad-core 2.8GHz
    Xeons that are running the 1600MHz bus. Base price is $2800 before
    any extra widgets, which had been around $1000 cheaper than the
    'comparable' Dell configured to roughly the same amount of
    horsepower.

    It represents gross overkill for many basic desktop tasks today (just
    like its Dell counterpart, etc), but it is not necessarily overkill
    for all applications or tasks, so it comes down to the question of
    "what do you need it for?" and how much iron you want to buy for
    diminishing returns. Its just been refreshed within the last 90 days,
    so it represents a good value right now IMO.

    -hh
    -hh, Mar 25, 2008
  8. "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >
    >>> What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a
    >>> Supermicro motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will
    >>> kick butt and they are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and
    >>> you'll be loving life. Even Apple went to Xeon processors because
    >>> they are so good and perform better than anything they ever had. I'll
    >>> never use a system that doesn't have at least a pair of Xeons
    >>> in it.

    >> just as an aside, what model Apple uses the Xeon ??
    >> just curious (and genuine)

    > <http://www.apple.com/macpro/>
    >

    > Rita

    thanks :)

    Don Hirschberg
    Atheist Chaplain, Mar 25, 2008
  9. Rita Berkowitz

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:02:48 -0400, "Rita Berkowitz"
    <> wrote:

    >What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a Supermicro
    >motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will kick butt and they
    >are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and you'll be loving life.
    >Even Apple went to Xeon processors because they are so good and perform
    >better than anything they ever had. I'll never use a system that doesn't
    >have at least a pair of Xeons in it.

    At work, I use a Dell server with a pair of quad core Xeons running
    Linux. We do signal processing functions on in. It really flies. And
    it's not all that expensive for the power either. For instance, the
    redundant power supplies, 15000 rpm SAS raid configuration, etc., that
    drive up the price for server use but aren't really needed for a home
    system can be left out. Then again, those 15krpm SAS drives really
    fly too.

    Steve
    Steve, Mar 25, 2008
  10. Steve wrote:

    >> What you really need get is a dual Xeon system running on a
    >> Supermicro motherboard. A pair of Xeons with 4MB cache each will
    >> kick butt and they are dirt cheap now. Get several gigs of RAM and
    >> you'll be loving life. Even Apple went to Xeon processors because
    >> they are so good and perform better than anything they ever had.
    >> I'll never use a system that doesn't have at least a pair of Xeons
    >> in it.

    > At work, I use a Dell server with a pair of quad core Xeons running
    > Linux. We do signal processing functions on in. It really flies. And
    > it's not all that expensive for the power either. For instance, the
    > redundant power supplies, 15000 rpm SAS raid configuration, etc., that
    > drive up the price for server use but aren't really needed for a home
    > system can be left out. Then again, those 15krpm SAS drives really
    > fly too.

    That sounds like the perfect desktop unit. I'll be building one soon. The
    only problem I have right now is I'm getting decent money for my SAS pulls
    and still using U320 till the prices come down and make it economically
    feasible to keep the good old SAS drives. So, yes, a SAS RAID array is the
    best solution for a home desktop unit.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 25, 2008
  11. -hh wrote:

    > The Mac Pro tower. The bang for the buck there is (as usual) the
    > midline, which has the newer version of the dual quad-core 2.8GHz
    > Xeons that are running the 1600MHz bus. Base price is $2800 before
    > any extra widgets, which had been around $1000 cheaper than the
    > 'comparable' Dell configured to roughly the same amount of
    > horsepower.
    >
    > It represents gross overkill for many basic desktop tasks today (just
    > like its Dell counterpart, etc), but it is not necessarily overkill
    > for all applications or tasks, so it comes down to the question of
    > "what do you need it for?" and how much iron you want to buy for
    > diminishing returns. Its just been refreshed within the last 90 days,
    > so it represents a good value right now IMO.

    Nonsense on overkill! It's the perfect machine for e-mail and Usenet.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 25, 2008
  12. Rita Berkowitz

    -hh Guest

    On Mar 25, 8:38 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:

    > Nonsense on overkill!  It's the perfect machine for e-mail and Usenet.
    >
    > Rita

    But the Mac Pro hasn't been taken into space by NASA, so obviously, it
    must be...

    -hh
    -hh, Mar 26, 2008