    I sent an email to Astraweb to see if I could find anything out from
    them.
    Thanks again for your help!

    learning, Jun 24, 2010

  2. learning

    chuckcar Guest

    learning wrote in news::

    > Thanks for all of the information you folks provided. I deleted all of
    > the groups as one suggested and then got a list of all available
    > groups and it is still not there. I put this same request inthe Forte
    > agent group and got similar suggestions except from some nim nod that
    > suggested I was looking for the "hacked " version of Agent 6. He must
    > be a juvenile or mentally challeged or something.
    >
    > I sent an email to Astraweb to see if I could find anything out from
    > them.
    > Thanks again for your help!

    Are you sure it's an actual active group? It's sounds *way* too generic to
    me.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 24, 2010

  3. learning

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:24:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Are you sure it's an actual active group? It's sounds *way* too
    >>generic to me.

    > Are you capable of looking? Over 65,000 messages on my server for the
    > group.

    Means nothing. Could all be junk postings. I've seen groups that get 5,000
    new headers a day - all DRM.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jun 24, 2010
  4. learning

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:18:51 -0400, learning ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > Thanks for all of the information you folks provided. I deleted all of
    > the groups as one suggested and then got a list of all available groups
    > and it is still not there. I put this same request inthe Forte agent
    > group and got similar suggestions except from some nim nod that
    > suggested I was looking for the "hacked " version of Agent 6. He must be
    > a juvenile or mentally challeged or something.
    >
    > I sent an email to Astraweb to see if I could find anything out from
    > them.
    > Thanks again for your help!

    That group doesn't get much traffic so you might not want to bother
    troubleshooting the issue. I'll bet you subscribe to the multimedia group
    and someone suggested you add alt.binaries.new. I had been following it
    but since there were little or no posts I dumped it. And since the news
    group had a questionable creation it might have not gotten picked up by
    every service and might not be well peered for transport.

    Meat Plow, Jun 24, 2010
  5. learning

    Learning Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:34:21 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:18:51 -0400, learning ??o??:
    >
    >> Thanks for all of the information you folks provided. I deleted all of
    >> the groups as one suggested and then got a list of all available groups
    >> and it is still not there. I put this same request inthe Forte agent
    >> group and got similar suggestions except from some nim nod that
    >> suggested I was looking for the "hacked " version of Agent 6. He must be
    >> a juvenile or mentally challeged or something.
    >>
    >> I sent an email to Astraweb to see if I could find anything out from
    >> them.
    >> Thanks again for your help!

    >That group doesn't get much traffic so you might not want to bother
    >troubleshooting the issue. I'll bet you subscribe to the multimedia group
    >and someone suggested you add alt.binaries.new. I had been following it
    >but since there were little or no posts I dumped it. And since the news
    >group had a questionable creation it might have not gotten picked up by
    >every service and might not be well peered for transport.

    Might be some truth to what you said in the above paragraph. I got an
    email back from Astraweb and they sent me a link to see what groups
    are available on their servers and alt.binaries.new does not shoow up
    there I do go to the multimedia group as you thought and someone did
    tell me to check out the .new group. I have requested that
    alt.binaries.new be added to Astrawebs servers several times and it
    still has not shown up there. Such are the ups and downs of Usenet. I
    do appreciate your help and advice. I don't know anything about the
    groups creation so I can't say much.

    Learning, Jun 24, 2010
  6. learning

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:25:49 -0400, Learning ÇʇoɹÊ:

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:34:21 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:18:51 -0400, learning ??o??:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for all of the information you folks provided. I deleted all of
    >>> the groups as one suggested and then got a list of all available
    >>> groups and it is still not there. I put this same request inthe Forte
    >>> agent group and got similar suggestions except from some nim nod that
    >>> suggested I was looking for the "hacked " version of Agent 6. He must
    >>> be a juvenile or mentally challeged or something.
    >>>
    >>> I sent an email to Astraweb to see if I could find anything out from
    >>> them.
    >>> Thanks again for your help!

    >>That group doesn't get much traffic so you might not want to bother
    >>troubleshooting the issue. I'll bet you subscribe to the multimedia
    >>group and someone suggested you add alt.binaries.new. I had been
    >>following it but since there were little or no posts I dumped it. And
    >>since the news group had a questionable creation it might have not
    >>gotten picked up by every service and might not be well peered for
    >>transport.

    > Might be some truth to what you said in the above paragraph. I got an
    > email back from Astraweb and they sent me a link to see what groups are
    > available on their servers and alt.binaries.new does not shoow up there
    > I do go to the multimedia group as you thought and someone did tell me
    > to check out the .new group. I have requested that alt.binaries.new be
    > added to Astrawebs servers several times and it still has not shown up
    > there. Such are the ups and downs of Usenet. I do appreciate your help
    > and advice. I don't know anything about the groups creation so I can't
    > say much.

    Some services don't automatically pick up groups created by a simple
    newgroup command message in control.newgroup. I don't know the ratio of
    those that don't and those that do because it is a discretion of the
    operator. I'd say that the scale dips to the side that don't simply
    because of those who would abuse the process. And believe me it has been
    horribly abused. Those that do get on servers due to a usurping of the
    proper creation process usually don't get the article mirroring that
    properly discussed and created groups do. I don't understand the workings
    of the server software completely and since it is open source, operators
    are free to re-write it to their policy. There may be an option in the
    software to disallow good peering and transport for rogue groups. There
    are also a few credited services that issue remove group control messages
    for groups not created via the established process. And once again it is
    usually the option of the operator to acknowledge these control messages
    also. I used to know a site where you could search a particular group and
    check its status on the major players but the link was lost in a long ago
    crash.

    Meat Plow, Jun 24, 2010
  7. learning

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:41:06 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 00:24:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Are you sure it's an actual active group? It's sounds *way* too generic
    >>to me.

    > Are you capable of looking? Over 65,000 messages on my server for the
    > group.

    Evan, remind yourself of he to whom you speak.

    Unnerstand now?

    Aardvark, Jun 24, 2010
  8. learning

    Mike Easter Guest

    Learning wrote:

    > Might be some truth to what you said in the above paragraph. I got an
    > email back from Astraweb and they sent me a link to see what groups
    > are available on their servers and alt.binaries.new does not shoow up
    > there I do go to the multimedia group as you thought and someone did
    > tell me to check out the .new group.

    > I have requested that
    > alt.binaries.new be added to Astrawebs servers several times and it
    > still has not shown up there.

    This is the best way and place to ask astraweb to add a group.

    http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=27

    How do I add a group? - Login to your account and click "add a group".
    You will be given a URL which changes daily for security reasons. You
    can then add a group at that URL.

    > Such are the ups and downs of Usenet. I
    > do appreciate your help and advice. I don't know anything about the
    > groups creation so I can't say much.

    That group does not appear on this^1 list - which list is used by some
    news admins to aid them in deciding which groups to add
    ^1 ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active

    The basis for that list is based in part on the proper sequence of
    events which lead to a proper control message being sent for an alt. group.

    There is a lot of abuse of new group creation. That .new group doesn't
    have a lot of 'fresh' files, but the giganews server has a lot of
    messages/uploads in the group because giga has long retention. Astraweb
    claims 676 days retention.

    That .new group has only one binary uploaded in the month of June, and
    that binary was uploaded to that group and alt.binaries.new-age and
    alt.binaries.sound.mp3

    It is possible that you might find what you are looking for on some
    other group, or that you might request that someone upload something,
    depending on what you are looking for.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 24, 2010