Re: problems with cctv , srolling bands through image

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Sep 1, 2009.

  1. Guest

    "securiy" <> wrote:

    >The cameras are WIRED , and attach to DVR cards via BNC fitting , power
    >is supplied on the same cable as the image cable via a power adaptor.
    >Im guessing this interference is coming from this ? or not , any ideas ?

    You need to follow code on with the wiring - what this means is that
    cables need to run parallel to any power cable, and about 6" away
    (unless the power cable is in EMT, then you can lay your wire over
    it), otherwise parallel.

    Another one I've run into is Fluorescent lighting, definitely don't
    run a video cable across a Fluorescent fixture, fact is the farthest
    you can keep the cable from a one the better.

    Mine was running a cat 5 cable for phone and networking, it had to
    pass near a Fluorescent fixture to run down the wall to the outlet, no
    matter how we ran the cat 5 there was static on the line, we had to
    leave it that way, and I'm sure they had network problems from that
    line.
    --

    It's a little warm in Texas.
    http://imgur.com/8KkwR.jpg

    , Sep 1, 2009

  2. Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >>Another one I've run into is Fluorescent lighting, definitely don't
    >>run a video cable across a Fluorescent fixture, fact is the farthest
    >>you can keep the cable from a one the better.

    >>Mine was running a cat 5 cable for phone and networking, it had to
    >>pass near a Fluorescent fixture to run down the wall to the outlet, no
    >>matter how we ran the cat 5 there was static on the line, we had to
    >>leave it that way, and I'm sure they had network problems from that
    >>line.

    >So put the line in conduit. Shield and ground the conduit.

    Christ, don't know where to start.

    AT&T didn't have anyone in our area, so we did all their contracts.

    First this was the project, not large enough to be called a coliseum
    but close http://www.co.franklin.wa.us/trac/images/TracOverhead.pdf we
    wired the arena, atrium, and the Exhibition hall.

    The code I quoted is required for all wiring, except phone lines
    (oddly enough). You can run a phone line or network cable anyway you
    want. Network cables might be different now.

    I still tried to run parallel to any power cable (really any wire)
    cause when your in an attic or the like you don't know what the wire
    or cable is for anyhow. Code also says if you must cross another power
    cable/line it has to be at 90°. Mostly I'd just staple it up and out
    of the way on the rafters for a house or small office. a large
    building like this, I'd just find a spot that was easy to work at,
    away from anything else, and out of the way as when your through you
    would have a bundle of wires. it's better to wire for the best signal
    you can get - It's professional and saves a lot of time tracing bad
    lines.

    The room that I was referring to was smaller than the rest and figured
    it wouldn't be used as an office, this was at a time when laptops were
    a rarity. I figured the problem or static on the line was caused by
    induction, but who knows.

    Also the wires had to run next to the fluorescent fixture, no matter
    how you ran it, and we weren't set up to install EMT, as all the
    piping had been installed by another contractor, and we'd of ticked
    someone off by doing our own modifications.

    This attic was a very small part of the project, most of the wiring
    was through EMT embedded in the concrete of the floor, each outlet
    maybe 10 feet apart. Set up for vendors or whatever function was being
    held at the time, there would be a phone line and network ability.

    I enjoyed installing phone and network systems. I just happen to like
    running wire/cable, then sit all day pressing wires onto the terminal
    blocks.

    Ah, the old days when I could tell color codes without glasses...

    I had a lot of time to kill (can you tell <grin>) it's late and I'm
    not tired, think it was that 4 hour nap; but that's why we didn't run
    it in a conduit, and the only cable that caused any problems (and
    would/will/has caused problems) out of a hundred(s) or so runs.
    Something only my partner and myself knew.

    --

    Did Google Street View spot rapist/kidnapper Garrido?
    http://www.boingboing.net/2009/08/31/did-google-street-vi.html

    , Sep 1, 2009

  3. pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >I enjoyed installing phone and network systems. I just happen to like
    >running wire/cable, then sit all day pressing wires onto the terminal
    >blocks.
    >
    >Ah, the old days when I could tell color codes without glasses...
    >
    >I had a lot of time to kill (can you tell <grin>) it's late and I'm
    >not tired, think it was that 4 hour nap; but that's why we didn't run
    >it in a conduit, and the only cable that caused any problems (and
    >would/will/has caused problems) out of a hundred(s) or so runs.
    >Something only my partner and myself knew.

    Since you enjoy it...question: I have some cat 5 running from the box
    to the wall jack for my dsl. Should I sheild the phone line that runs
    from the wall jack to the modem/router and if so, how? Supposedly its
    already a special type. But I like overkill.

    TIA

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 1, 2009
  4. Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >Since you enjoy it...question: I have some cat 5 running from the box
    >to the wall jack for my dsl. Should I sheild the phone line that runs
    >from the wall jack to the modem/router and if so, how? Supposedly its
    >already a special type. But I like overkill.

    Not really, we would set up a outlet with Cat5 on top and bottom of a
    color coded ethernet female outlet (two RJ45's) a phone line will plug
    right into them. This way you could network at any outlet, as well as
    having telephone access for voice, modem, or a fax.

    Never had a problem with the combo and a phone line will sent ~90
    volts AC to the phone when it rings. The Cat 5 twisted pairs are
    twisted to reduce interference.

    Overkill would be to wrap the phone line(s) with aluminium foil :)
    --

    That cupcake looks amazing!
    http://mydrunkpix.com/view/facebook-wall-of-shame/1339

    , Sep 2, 2009
  5. Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >But I also note you now state this project was some years ago during a
    >time when computers in the office might not have been so common. So
    >the shielded cable may not have existed except maybe as some exotic
    >expensive animal.

    No, I mentioned laptops, networking was common and half of our work,
    and growing. What I ment was not many people had laptops to plug into
    the network. A laptop would of made the room an office of sorts.

    I've only been to the place once since it opened many years ago, and I
    never bothered to see what that room was being used for.
    --

    That cupcake looks amazing!
    http://mydrunkpix.com/view/facebook-wall-of-shame/1339

    , Sep 2, 2009
  6. Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Overkill would be to wrap the phone line(s) with aluminium foil :)

    >And you might be able to pick up HBO on it too.

    Our lines were so bad before we fixed them that we could pick up a
    handset and hear a local radio station!

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 2, 2009
  7. Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:

    >Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    >of<>:

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Overkill would be to wrap the phone line(s) with aluminium foil :)

    >>And you might be able to pick up HBO on it too.

    >Our lines were so bad before we fixed them that we could pick up a
    >handset and hear a local radio station!

    Ahh ya, I knew a girl who lived next to a very tall broadcast antenna,
    that a local rock and roll station used.

    Her phone was fairly useless, you could talk but had to listen to the
    station as well. I met her as I was running a BBS, she asked if there
    was anyway she could get her modem to connect under those conditions.

    Don't know how you did it (remove the signal) but she never did get
    that modem to work properly.
    --

    Even schools have their moments
    http://nsharp.org/gallery/user-uploaded/65.jpg

    , Sep 3, 2009
  8. pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>Rôgêr <> pinched out a steaming pile
    >>of<>:

    >>>And you might be able to pick up HBO on it too.

    >>Our lines were so bad before we fixed them that we could pick up a
    >>handset and hear a local radio station!

    >Ahh ya, I knew a girl who lived next to a very tall broadcast antenna,
    >that a local rock and roll station used.

    Being bathed in high power RF daily isnt especially healthy, IMO.

    >Her phone was fairly useless, you could talk but had to listen to the
    >station as well. I met her as I was running a BBS, she asked if there
    >was anyway she could get her modem to connect under those conditions.

    Would have hadda gone with underground cables from a good distance I
    imagine.

    >Don't know how you did it (remove the signal) but she never did get
    >that modem to work properly.

    We had "extension cords" strung over doorways and all sorts of crazy
    shit. Once I took those out and put in some proper lines & filters it
    quieted down. The short run of cat 5 from the box to the modem helped a
    lot too.

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 3, 2009