Re: Problems switching from XP32 to XP64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John John (MVP), Dec 11, 2008.

  1. (Crossposted to 64-bit newsgroup, where the 64-bit experts will be
    better able to answer your questions).

    There is no upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, it will have to be a clean
    install.

    John

    John John (MVP), Dec 11, 2008

  2. John John (MVP)

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    No upgrade is possible, only way is a fresh install.
    But befor doing that, you really want to do your homework first!
    1.- Identify all the hardware inside your PC.
    2.- Get the latest XP x64 drivers for that hardware.
    3.- Identify all the software you intend to use.
    4.- Check the software manufacturer's page and verify its compatibility in
    64-bit environments. Generally speaking, all 32-bit programs will work in a
    64-bit OS unless...
    a- they have a 16-bit installer
    b- they need a 32-bit driver

    Carlos