Re: Problems copying VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nick Dobb, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Nick Dobb

    Nick Dobb Guest

    Grateful for any help with the following, excuse the crossposting but I'm
    getting nowhere fast here. Just to confirm, the problem is *not*
    Macrovision, as I also get it with VHS tapes recorded off terrestrial or
    satellite TV which definitely have no copy protection on :-

    Nick Dobb, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Nick Dobb

    JoeBloe Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:26:39 GMT, "Nick Dobb"
    <> Gave us:

    >Grateful for any help with the following, excuse the crossposting but I'm
    >getting nowhere fast here. Just to confirm, the problem is *not*
    >Macrovision, as I also get it with VHS tapes recorded off terrestrial or
    >satellite TV which definitely have no copy protection on :-
    >

    >"Nick Dobb" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to transfer a bunch of VHS videos over to DVD+R/+RW and am
    >> running into problems. Many of the copies feature some or all of the
    >> following problems, which are not present in the original recordings :-
    >>
    >> - grainy picture
    >> - very brief (but visible) pauses
    >> - jumpy picture
    >> - distorted band in the top inch of the picture
    >>
    >> Problem has been replicated with two separate VHS players. I'm copying
    >> over composite video. This is all on PAL (UK). I know for sure the
    >> problem's not being caused by Macrovision. Incidentally, putting a
    >> Macrovision removal / signal conditioning box between the VHS and DVD
    >> makes the problem much worse (which seems bizarre).
    >>
    >> I also know the problem's nothing to do with the media being used.
    >>
    >> Recorder is a Technika DVDR2005 (Rebadged Yamada 8400X) with latest
    >> firmware update.
    >>
    >> Any help gratefully received.

    Are you sure it's PAL all the way through? The VCR, the "tuner" on
    your PC's input port (tuner card or such video card integrated or
    not). It seems like a format mismatch.

    Ahh.. I just noticed... it's a set-top recorder. It probably sensed
    the low res input and auto-dumbed itself down... too far. You need
    to manually set the record mode, turning off all auto select functions
    related to handling the video input and/or record processing
    algorithms.

    JoeBloe, Sep 19, 2006

  3. Nick Dobb

    Nick Dobb Guest

    "JoeBloe" <> wrote in message
    > Are you sure it's PAL all the way through?

    Don't see how in can be anything else. Bog standard off the shelf UK VCR,
    VHS tape and DVD recorder.

    > Ahh.. I just noticed... it's a set-top recorder. It probably sensed
    > the low res input and auto-dumbed itself down... too far. You need
    > to manually set the record mode, turning off all auto select functions
    > related to handling the video input and/or record processing
    > algorithms.

    It's not the recording quality. It doesn't autoselect, and the problem
    persists on either HQ, SP, EP or SLP qualities. It's a very simple player
    and doesn't have any 'space cadet' features for messing with expert features
    (that I can see).

    Nick Dobb, Sep 21, 2006