Re: Problem with NAT + static IP mapping

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ps56k, Jun 1, 2009.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    "Jack Kipster" <> wrote in message

    > I have a good connection to the Internet (10mb up and down) at my
    > house and it is router and motorola wireless access point with 17
    > wireless clients on it.

    What kind of Internet connection ? for 10mb up AND down -
    sounds like a metro Ethernet product, or some other flavor.
    What router and AP are your currently using ?
    You have 17 wireless connections at your "house" ?

    >The system works well but my problem is that
    > everyone that connects is NATed and goes through only one public
    > address so if more than one user goes to rapid share at a time then he
    > has to wait for another user to finish his download!

    A NAT router does just that - maps all users to a single IP address.
    BTW - what is "rapid share" ?

    >Also some
    > websites identify the user by their IP address which is always the
    > same public address! This is causing problems and complaints!

    Seems odd for a website to do that...
    what about all the "dynamic" IP users that access that website ?
    I can see it for logging and such - but to "remember" an IP address ?
    Guess I've seen some incoming packets
    trying to access my systems from "remembered dynamic IP addresses".

    > I have a few more static public addresses but how would I give them
    > to my users? I don't know how to this?

    You almost need 2 routed lans - one for the NAT folks,
    and another for your Public IP users...
    Not really possible in the normal construct and definitions of consumer
    routers.
    Might check on the Cisco newsgroup - to see if any version can handle your
    scenario.

    ps56k, Jun 1, 2009

  2. ps56k

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:39:19 -0500, "ps56k"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jack Kipster" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>The system works well but my problem is that
    >> everyone that connects is NATed and goes through only one public
    >> address so if more than one user goes to rapid share at a time then he
    >> has to wait for another user to finish his download!

    >A NAT router does just that - maps all users to a single IP address.
    >BTW - what is "rapid share" ?

    It's a file sharing thing: http://www.rapidshare.com/
    Someone uploads a file and multiple people can then download it, but
    there can only be one concurrent download per source IP.

    >>Also some
    >> websites identify the user by their IP address which is always the
    >> same public address! This is causing problems and complaints!

    >Seems odd for a website to do that...
    >what about all the "dynamic" IP users that access that website ?
    >I can see it for logging and such - but to "remember" an IP address ?

    I think they limit each source IP to a single download at a time, so
    multiple users sharing a single (NATed) source IP would mean only one
    of those people could download at a time and the others would have to
    wait. When the first one finishes, one more download would be allowed
    to proceed.

    I haven't used it, but that's my understanding.

    Char Jackson, Jun 1, 2009

  3. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:39:19 -0500, "ps56k"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Jack Kipster" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>>The system works well but my problem is that
    >>> everyone that connects is NATed and goes through only one public
    >>> address so if more than one user goes to rapid share at a time then he
    >>> has to wait for another user to finish his download!

    >>A NAT router does just that - maps all users to a single IP address.
    >>BTW - what is "rapid share" ?

    > It's a file sharing thing: http://www.rapidshare.com/
    > Someone uploads a file and multiple people can then download it, but
    > there can only be one concurrent download per source IP.
    >
    >>>Also some
    >>> websites identify the user by their IP address which is always the
    >>> same public address! This is causing problems and complaints!

    >>Seems odd for a website to do that...
    >>what about all the "dynamic" IP users that access that website ?
    >>I can see it for logging and such - but to "remember" an IP address ?

    > I think they limit each source IP to a single download at a time, so
    > multiple users sharing a single (NATed) source IP would mean only one
    > of those people could download at a time and the others would have to
    > wait. When the first one finishes, one more download would be allowed
    > to proceed.
    >
    > I haven't used it, but that's my understanding.

    sounds about right - if that is their intent -
    gee....
    wonder what kind of files are being "uploaded"
    and then downloaded by folks...

    ps56k, Jun 1, 2009
  4. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    "ps56k" <> wrote in message

    > "Char Jackson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:39:19 -0500, "ps56k"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Jack Kipster" <> wrote in message

    >>>A NAT router does just that - maps all users to a single IP address.
    >>>BTW - what is "rapid share" ?

    >> It's a file sharing thing: http://www.rapidshare.com/
    >> Someone uploads a file and multiple people can then download it, but
    >> there can only be one concurrent download per source IP.

    >>>Seems odd for a website to do that...
    >>>what about all the "dynamic" IP users that access that website ?
    >>>I can see it for logging and such - but to "remember" an IP address ?

    >> I think they limit each source IP to a single download at a time, so
    >> multiple users sharing a single (NATed) source IP would mean only one
    >> of those people could download at a time and the others would have to
    >> wait. When the first one finishes, one more download would be allowed
    >> to proceed.
    >>
    >> I haven't used it, but that's my understanding.
    >>

    > sounds about right - if that is their intent -
    > gee....
    > wonder what kind of files are being "uploaded"
    > and then downloaded by folks...

    since your main focus seems to be the "rapid sharing" website
    issue of them using the IP address to restrict concurrent access,
    along with having 17 "users" in your "house"....
    this seems more and more like a college dorm issue
    with people wanting to download "stuff"......

    SO - good luck - and doubt you will find an easy way
    to use traditional consumer routers that
    will operate as both a NAT router AND also somehow support
    multiple public IP assigned addresses so you can download even more "stuff".

    ps56k, Jun 1, 2009
  5. ps56k

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:55:50 -0400, David Kerber
    <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote:

    >In article <JfTUl.12154$>,
    > says...

    >> > sounds about right - if that is their intent -
    >> > gee....
    >> > wonder what kind of files are being "uploaded"
    >> > and then downloaded by folks...
    >> >

    >> since your main focus seems to be the "rapid sharing" website
    >> issue of them using the IP address to restrict concurrent access,
    >> along with having 17 "users" in your "house"....
    >> this seems more and more like a college dorm issue
    >> with people wanting to download "stuff"......
    >>
    >> SO - good luck - and doubt you will find an easy way
    >> to use traditional consumer routers that
    >> will operate as both a NAT router AND also somehow support
    >> multiple public IP assigned addresses so you can download even more "stuff".

    >Anybody taking odds on this? My bet is on homework (or possibly test)
    >answers...

    When I heard rapidshare mentioned, my first thought was along the same
    lines as ps56k. *shrug*

    Char Jackson, Jun 1, 2009
  6. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    "David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_WarrenRogersAssociates.com> wrote in message
    > In article <JfTUl.12154$>,
    > says...

    >> > sounds about right - if that is their intent -
    >> > gee....
    >> > wonder what kind of files are being "uploaded"
    >> > and then downloaded by folks...
    >> >

    >> since your main focus seems to be the "rapid sharing" website
    >> issue of them using the IP address to restrict concurrent access,
    >> along with having 17 "users" in your "house"....
    >> this seems more and more like a college dorm issue
    >> with people wanting to download "stuff"......
    >>
    >> SO - good luck - and doubt you will find an easy way
    >> to use traditional consumer routers that
    >> will operate as both a NAT router AND also somehow support
    >> multiple public IP assigned addresses so you can download even more
    >> "stuff".

    > Anybody taking odds on this? My bet is on homework (or possibly test)
    > answers...
    >
    > --

    yeah - and his "horndog" email address is a nice touch also....
    thinking maybe bigger stuff - with an internal 10mb link (sounds campus wide
    ethernet)
    and only 1 person at a time can download..... it would have to be a HUGE
    file -
    like maybe a "shared" HD movie :)

    ps56k, Jun 2, 2009
  7. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Jack Kipster wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 May 2009 18:39:19 -0500, "ps56k"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>You almost need 2 routed lans - one for the NAT folks,
    >>>and another for your Public IP users...
    >>>Not really possible in the normal construct and definitions of consumer
    >>>routers.

    > I would be interested to hear what the definition of a consumer router is.
    >
    >> I'm going to check out Cisco but I would think there must be other
    >> routers that can do this also???
    >>
    >> I don't like being confined to Cisco. All I really need is a router
    >> that has multiple DHCP servers... one for internal addresses and
    >> another for public addresses.

    > Your life would be easier if you stuck to one LAN subnet, used static DHCP
    > assignments for machines that need their own public IP, and 1:1 NAT
    > to/from
    > them.
    >
    > m0n0wall supports 1:1 NAT:
    >
    > http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/examples.html
    >
    > pfSense supports 1:1 NAT:
    >
    > http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?action=printpage;topic=15360.0
    >
    > dd-wrt supports 1:1 NAT:
    >
    > http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/One-to-one_NAT
    >
    > Tomato/MLPPP supports 1:1 NAT:
    >
    > http://fixppp.org/
    >
    > Zeroshell suports 1:1 NAT:
    >
    > www.zeroshell.net/listing/1_1_NAT_in_ZeroShell.pdf
    >
    > Also has L7filter which will let you manage P2P traffic. You could
    > probably
    > run Ntop on it as well, which is a great real-time traffic monitor [ie
    > it'll
    > let you see who's hammering the internet connection].
    >
    > Some of the above will run on an embedded router, some require a PC with
    > multiple NICs. The router based ones will probably struggle to deliver
    > 100M
    > throughput.
    >
    > Sonicwalls support 1:1 NAT.
    >
    > --
    > <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    > 19:00:44 up 26 days, 22:58, 1 user, load average: 0.35, 0.20, 0.11
    > A few flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction

    Had not thought along the lines of the DMZ and NAT 1:1

    This whole scenario is based on the need for multiple external, WAN, IP
    addresses
    being mapped to the internal folks..... either explicit/static or dynamic -

    The main users appear to be downloading "stuff" from a file sharing website
    that logs the IP address, and only allows a single user download per IP
    address.

    SO - when using traditional NAT with a single dynamic WAN address
    the users are restricted to only one user at a time.... hence the need for
    multiple external addresses.

    In summary - do any of the mainstream consumer off the shelf routers/WAPs
    like say the Linksys, Netgear, Dlink products
    offer NAT 1:1 as a selection vs just the DMZ mapping ?

    ps56k, Jun 2, 2009