Re: Problem with my '3' S2 Skypephone - UPDATE

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Mills, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 10/02/2013 23:25, CJB wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 7:26 pm, Roger Mills<> wrote:
    >> I've had an S2 Skypephone for 3 years or so - which I bought mainly for
    >> tethering to a laptop for internet access.
    >>
    >> I haven't needed to use it for that for quite a while - and haven't used
    >> it at all for some months. The last time I used it was for some Skype
    >> test calls - which worked fine.
    >>
    >> I tried to do the same thing today, and it wasn't having any! When I
    >> turn it on, it says "Emergency calls only" and there are absolutely no
    >> signal strength bars.
    >>
    >> I tried to log onto My3 via my BB connection, and it appears that the
    >> phone's number is no longer valid. Looking at the PAYG SIM's T&Cs, it
    >> appears that '3' are liable to disconnect you (and re-allocate the
    >> number?) if you haven't done anything for 6 months - which I probably
    >> haven't.
    >>
    >> *However* the blurb which came with the phone says that I get free Skype
    >> calls *forever* without any need to top up. How does that stack up,
    >> because it won't log on to Skype without first connecting to the '3'
    >> network - which it refuses to do?
    >>
    >> I've got another PAYG SIM which I used to use in a '3' (Huawei) dongle -
    >> again not used for a long time, and again which seems to have been
    >> disconnected.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to how I might recover the situation? I can't find
    >> anything about re-registering a SIM and getting a new number once it has
    >> been cancelled. Is that possible, or do I need to start again with new
    >> SIMs. If I put a new SIM in the Skypephone and register it, will the
    >> Skype function work again?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > Try emailing
    >

    > CJB

    Yes, I did that, and they replied (eventually) saying that they needed
    to speak to me. They asked me to call by dialling 33 from a '3' phone,
    or to give them a number on which they could call me.

    However, they still hadn't called me several days after I gave them a
    land-line number on which to contact me, so I called them from the
    Skypephone using the newly acquired replacement PAYG SIM (by dialling 333)

    The woman to whom I spoke was clearly unaware of my complaint and didn't
    seem inclined to look up earlier references, so I had to spell it out
    from scratch.

    In a nutshell, the official party line from '3' is that the way in which
    Skype is implemented on their phones has changed, and that it is no
    longer free. According to her, the only way you can use Skype is by
    buying a data allowance in one form or other, and using some of that up
    every time you make a Skype call. I would not be able to use Skype on my
    S2 Skypephone without buying an add-on, and even then, it wouldn't be free.

    I pointed out that, by my definition, "Forever" - as in "free Skype
    forever" - still had a fair time to run, but she didn't seem to care!

    I then asked her to explain how it was - in view of what she had told me
    - that Skype was working again on my S2, now that I've installed a new
    PAYG SIM, even though I haven't topped it up. Unsurprisingly, she couldn't!

    So I'm not a great deal further forward. I apparently have free Skype
    again despite 3's assertion that that's not possible, but for how long?
    I've lost the £5 or so credit which I had on the SIM which they zapped,
    which I can live with. But if they zap a SIM with credit on it after 6
    months of non-chargeable activity, how long can I expect one to last
    which I have *never* topped up? And can I just keep getting free
    replacement SIMs, and get Skype working again?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Feb 19, 2013

  2. In uk.telecom.voip Roger Mills <> wrote:
    > In a nutshell, the official party line from '3' is that the way in which
    > Skype is implemented on their phones has changed, and that it is no
    > longer free. According to her, the only way you can use Skype is by
    > buying a data allowance in one form or other, and using some of that up
    > every time you make a Skype call. I would not be able to use Skype on my
    > S2 Skypephone without buying an add-on, and even then, it wouldn't be free.

    Just a thought... what APN are you on? If your APN is three.co.uk, you can
    still access the http://mobile.three.co.uk internal web pages intended for
    phones (balance check, topup etc). If your APN is 3internet you probably
    can't, and need to use chargeable data.

    Can you access mobile.three.co.uk from your phone?
    The iskoot call URL used to be:
    http://mobile.three.co.uk/948

    but it may have changed since Three took over development of the Skype
    gateway.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Feb 20, 2013

  3. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 20/02/2013 22:14, Theo Markettos wrote:
    > In uk.telecom.voip Roger Mills<> wrote:
    >> In a nutshell, the official party line from '3' is that the way in which
    >> Skype is implemented on their phones has changed, and that it is no
    >> longer free. According to her, the only way you can use Skype is by
    >> buying a data allowance in one form or other, and using some of that up
    >> every time you make a Skype call. I would not be able to use Skype on my
    >> S2 Skypephone without buying an add-on, and even then, it wouldn't be free.

    > Just a thought... what APN are you on?

    Dunno. How do I find out? Is it relevant when just using a Skypephone
    for Skype, and not using it for tethered internet access?

    If your APN is three.co.uk, you can
    > still access the http://mobile.three.co.uk internal web pages intended for
    > phones (balance check, topup etc). If your APN is 3internet you probably
    > can't, and need to use chargeable data.
    >
    > Can you access mobile.three.co.uk from your phone?
    > The iskoot call URL used to be:
    > http://mobile.three.co.uk/948

    Again, dunno. When you turn the S2 on, there are three options across
    the bottom of the screen - from left to right: Options, Skype, Planet 3

    If I press Options, I get a menu to do with "switcher", whatever that is.
    If I press Skype, it connects to Skype and invites me to sign in (unless
    I've configured it to sign in automatically)
    If I press Planet 3 it takes me to a page with My3 Account and various
    other things such as Music Store. If I then press options, I get a menu
    with things like Browser, and a line to enter a web address. If I wipe
    out the pre-populated www. and replace it with mobile.three.co.uk/948 it
    says "This site is temporarily unavailable"

    All of this is when using the new PAYG SIM which I have never registered
    or topped up - so My 3 doesn't know who I am. With the original SIM
    (which '3' zapped for lack of use) I couldn't get a connection to 3's
    network, so none of the main screen options did anything!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Feb 22, 2013